Weird question - do chickens learn to mimic words?

Tatuana

Songster
Dec 30, 2018
Utah
I'm trying to decide if I'm reading too much into it or not. I like picking up my silkie and cooing at her. (making sure she's hand tamed for her new owner). I've been doing it a lot the last week and have noticed something strange. Her name is Doorbell. When I say "Hello Doorbell" I swear she goes "Dooor Bellll". Not like the actual words, but singing the sounds. She also responds to "hi" with a single chirp. I've been watching her today, and while she talks a lot, it seems she only makes those noises around me.

Is it possible for a chicken to learn to mimic humans? I'm thinking I just don't see her enough to hear all her sounds. She does talk a LOT. She does definitely use that specific chirp when I say her name, though.

Our salmon favorell loves to talk. She will ‘talk back’ when I talk to her but it never really comes out as words. I have learned to figure out what she’s saying though, by the tone of her voice, how loud she is etc.

“Bawk bawk bawk BAWWKK” is either the egg song or a sign of distress. She makes a couple of other noises, but they’re too hard to describe. :rolleyes:

Most people assume that birds are barely anything but a mere creature... this, to me, is not even close to true. Birds are magnificent, intelligent souls that play a giant part in our life. 9Sometimes I prefer them over people. :lol: ) Chickens, all the same, are birds as well. Though they make not be verbal like a human being... they have their own communication skills. For instance, the noise a rooster makes when he pecks the ground and his hens run to him. "I found food! Come on over."
It isn't at all that you are reading too much into it. She very well may respond to you! My Faverolles chatter like parrots, to the other hens and to me. It's too cute.

I'm glad I'm not insane, ha! I have cockatiels who sometimes mimic me, but not very well. She's the only one who has an ounce of a brain in the lot. Since the factory also forgot to install an "off" button for her chirping, I figured I was missing something. It does seem like she likes to say her name, though. After cooing at her for a week she's taken up sitting on my arm and perching to coo back. Her head feathers always make her look so grumpy, though. Like she hates you while she happily chirps.

I'm trying to decide if I'm reading too much into it or not. I like picking up my silkie and cooing at her. (making sure she's hand tamed for her new owner). I've been doing it a lot the last week and have noticed something strange. Her name is Doorbell. When I say "Hello Doorbell" I swear she goes "Dooor Bellll". Not like the actual words, but singing the sounds. She also responds to "hi" with a single chirp. I've been watching her today, and while she talks a lot, it seems she only makes those noises around me.

Is it possible for a chicken to learn to mimic humans? I'm thinking I just don't see her enough to hear all her sounds. She does talk a LOT. She does definitely use that specific chirp when I say her name, though.

My free ranging hens and rooster come to me from far away when I call them. This excerpt from Fresh Eggs Daily refers to verbal communication between chickens call tidbitting.

“Her level of excitement, both in the shrillness of the clucks and the intensity and frequency of the clucks will correspond with how excited she is about the treat.
At our coop, chick feed rates only a moderately excited response, while raw oats, mealworms or a tasty berry really rachets up the excitement level.
Roosters will tidbit also. A rooster will drop a particularly tasty bug or seed at the foot of a favorite hen, then bob his head and make the same throaty clucking sound while hopping excitedly from one foot to another. It's quite a sight to behold actually, and very chivalrous, if you ask me. “
I think it is highly probable she is trying to communicate with you!

Do you think you can take a video of her ‘talking’ and upload it to YouTube, then post the link here?
I've been trying for two days! Every time my camera comes out the chickens stop what they're doing. :p

My free ranging hens and rooster come to me from far away when I call them. This excerpt from Fresh Eggs Daily refers to verbal communication between chickens call tidbitting.

“Her level of excitement, both in the shrillness of the clucks and the intensity and frequency of the clucks will correspond with how excited she is about the treat.
At our coop, chick feed rates only a moderately excited response, while raw oats, mealworms or a tasty berry really rachets up the excitement level.
Roosters will tidbit also. A rooster will drop a particularly tasty bug or seed at the foot of a favorite hen, then bob his head and make the same throaty clucking sound while hopping excitedly from one foot to another. It's quite a sight to behold actually, and very chivalrous, if you ask me. “
I think it is highly probable she is trying to communicate with you!

Ohh, that would be neat! Watch it turn out she is saying "no you idiot. Repeat after me. Door. Bell. Why can't you get it right?? I give up. Chirp chirp."

Back
Top Bottom