weird regional words...

hotdish = casserole - usually a dish including tater tots, green beans/corn, hamburger.

egg dish = frittata - egg, milk, bread, veggies and maybe ham/bacon

beach - I had an arguement today with one of my friends, she says our 'beaches' here in MN aren't really beaches. I say anything connected to a body of water that has sand is a beach. Sand + water = beach.
roll.png

pop - the whole pop/soda regional thing

Quote:
in philly we say, we are going down to the shore. Beach what;s a beach it's the shore...lol

Moving to cali taught me what a beach is and a tweeker
lau.gif

Quote:
I forgot about the hotdish thing!
lol.png
There was a really good discussion about this between me, my Chicago friend, and a Minnesotan. My argument was a hot dish was any meal that is served hot, usually in a casserole. The Chicagoan stated that a casserole is served in a hot dish, and the Minnesotan claimed the hot dish to be a meal known elsewhere as a casserole.

Quote:
lol.png
There was a really good discussion about this between me, my Chicago friend, and a Minnesotan. My argument was a hot dish was any meal that is served hot, usually in a casserole. The Chicagoan stated that a casserole is served in a hot dish, and the Minnesotan claimed the hot dish to be a meal known elsewhere as a casserole.

Yeah this is a twisty one - when you say
served hot, usually in a casserole

do you mean like a ceramic dish that you cook in?
'Cause a Minnesotan hot dish is usually cooked in a rectangular 9x13 baking dish. So?
idunno.gif
More confusing?​

Quote:
lol.png

Yeah this is a twisty one - when you say
served hot, usually in a casserole

do you mean like a ceramic dish that you cook in?
'Cause a Minnesotan hot dish is usually cooked in a rectangular 9x13 baking dish. So?
idunno.gif
More confusing?​

yep as in a ceramic dish. we call them casserole dishes, its what we cook our casseroles in
wink.png

Ok here's one - We say we need to use the bathroom. My friends from Texas always say they need to use the restroom.
To me a restroom is a public toilet in a store or gas station. If you're in my house and ask to use the restroom, it's kind of weird.

eta spelling

Last edited:
Quote:
It's definatly a regional thing. In the Northwest, it's a pond. a tank is an above ground steel vessel for containing liquids, or underground storage vessel, or a military fighting vehicle. Sorry, that's just the way it is.
tongue.png

In the Southeast, it is also definitely a pond, and many people dig them, meaning, make one.

Back
Top Bottom