weird regional words...

Quote:
I LOVE "spendy!" When I moved to Oregon from San Diego, it made me laugh and it is one of my favorites!

What baffled me was that the "camper shell" on my truck turned into a "canopy".

Cabbage Night = October 30. My husband, from another part of the same county, calls it Mischief Night.

Hero = sammich from the sammich shop, on longish bread. I've heard it called a Grinder in New England, and my husband calls it a Sub.

This is probably particular to Corvallis, but here the "co-op" is a grocery store.
In Tennessee, it was the farm supply place.

Ha! Ha! Ya'll are wierd!!! Ya'll is a common term here in Arkansas. My cousins in Missouri say You'uns and then swear they don't!!! To settle the ongoing pond/tank argument, a TANK is what my family called me when I was pregnant(9lb. 4oz. baby boy). If you call the county extension service here, they will dig a pond for you at no cost!
My niece married a teacher from tennesse who swears "TUMP" is not a word...I guess his wheelbarrow has never "tumped" over.

Gum bands!!! I'd never heard of such a thing; my sister lives in PA and that's what they call rubberbands!!
lau.gif

Oh - and here we drink "pop". My friend in Chicago drinks "soda" and down in southern Ohio, everything is a COKE!!!

Outside in Alaska means out-of-state not outdoors, my mom uses this regularly. A few people even older refer to "going to the States"

Toolies, boonies......places far away from anywhere else. He lives in the Toolies. I recently found out that Thule is an army base in northern Greenland.

In Minnesota people say "I'm going to the mall, you want to go with". It used to drive me crazy. Minnesotans also say or-E-gone for Oregon.

Here in Texas, barbeque has a very specific meaning, long slow cooking over smoke. Everywhere else I've lived barbeque means cooking on a grill.

I am on cape cod when we have coke or pepsi it is soda,..over the bridge it's called tonic.
If something is good or far or big it's wicked. In fact we use wicked as a sort of adjective to describe every other word. That's wicked cool,..what a wicked bummer (bummer is a downer not so good unhappy thing) Your wicked awesome,..it's wicked far from here...
OK hmm. I hate when i lose my khakis (car keys)
Dollus,..money
Packy, were I buy wine
clicka-remote for tv
My favorite,..that's pissa,..it's a good thing :)
Bang a uey that means a u turn
which makes me think of huck a louey,..which is to spit
Oh and here is one of my favs which gets lot's of grins in the summer,..we have a boat race called the "Figawi". Long story short it's a boat race started back in the 70's and the name spawned from one of the boaters lost in the fog,..think about it :)

Back
Top Bottom