welded wire ?

3/4 inch washer and 1 1/4 inch screw is how my welded wire is held in place. The plastic garden fencing I use for top half of run is secured with less of same washer/screw and zip ties.

I'd never afford 1/2 inch wire over entire run. For daytime predator protection we use 2x4 14 gauge wire that's only $35 for 4x50ft roll at Lowe's or Home Despot. Bottom 4 feet of run is wire and then 4 ft cut in half to run a 2ft dig proof perimeter horizontal around the run. The only thing getting into the run is a weasel and I've a predator proof coop they stay in at night. That's where the 1/2 inch welded wire comes in handy for vents. I suppose a raccoon could climb then chew through the plastic fencing but again, chickens are in coop at night.

We decided to paint our wire clothe with Rust Oleum paint for two reasons. One to extend it's life and also to make it blend in with everything better. I did it with a roller and put two coats on. The second photo has unpainted wire next to the painted for comparison. And the third photo shows how the painted wire can hardly be seen.

I agree. In order for paint to adhere to galvanized metal the surface needs to be cleaned with a solvent to remove oils, and etched with an acid to provide a rough surface for the paint to adhere to. You might get away without flaking on surfaces that don't receive much direct contact, but even just expansion and contraction due to temperature changes can cause the paint to flake off.

I'm on my third coop and run in the last 5 years (only because of moving). I've used my air stapler to attach the hardware cloth on each of them and had absolutely no problems with them holding up. I've had no predator problems, and no structural problems with any of the staples pulling out. And as mentioned, it's way easier and faster. I do use a lot of staples though, usually every 3 or 4 rows, and I put them at an angle over the corners of the little squares instead of just over one of the wire strands.

on my previous run, I did go back an add furring strips nailed over the edges, also as mentioned earlier, makes a cleaner looking 'finish' and happy wife=happy life, LOL

but all the 'predators will pull that loose' stuff just hasn't been the case at all in my experiences, and I know we have raccoons here and at the last place we lived with absolutely no problems at all. I think sometimes people tend to think that the harder something is to do, the better it will be and that's just not always the case at all

Last edited:
Well, if it were a water based paint I'd be worried about pealing but it is an oil based paint
made for metals. The wire is fresh from the mill and very rough so it took the Rust Oleum well.
Time will tell though.

Last edited:
Well, if it were a water based paint I'd be worried about pealing but it is a oil based paint
made for metals.  The wire is fresh from the mill and very rough so it took the Rust Oleum well.
Time will tell though.  

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but oil based paint is actually worse. The zinc layer applied during galvanization reacts with the oils in the paint and prevents adhesion. Basically the paint dries to form a shell around the metal but never actually adheres to it. When stressed it flakes off. The surface can look rough but that layer of zinc is what gives the trouble. Acrylic paint is actually better over cleaned galvanized metal.

I was in blissful ignorance before TalkALittle!! ha I have only painted half the wire so far....
I called the paint company and they recommended flat aluminum primer that is a latex.
I am not happy....

Back
Top Bottom