Welsh Harlequin

Will you be keeping to breed to the standard or just to have around as a pet? I would say number one is out either way if he's mean.

I'm not sure what I am going to do just yet - however I do have a WH female from Holderread as well and it seems a shame to not hold onto genetic stock from Sand Hill for potential babies in the future.

I would say keep drake #2. He's got good colouring- nice dark chest feathers that continue strongly down to the leg and a nice thin neck ring. Also he has good confirmation: not too stocky and a nice straight back.

Drake #3 looks very nice as well.

If drake #1 is mean definitely don't keep him, also the white patch on his head is a fault.
Thanks chickygirl7, I think drake #2 looks more pleasing than #3. He's more curvy (opposed to blocky), but I wasn't sure if that is correct. He's also the duckling in my avatar
big_smile.png

My 6 lady ducks however all seem to prefer drake #3, they do their little head bob dance and follow him all over the yard (usually to his confusion). I have never seen them act that way with any of the other boys ... Perhaps they should get the final vote
lol.png
?

I vote for WH #3. 2 looks more glossy, but 3 has a length and fullness of body that I really like. I think his color and form a little more flashy and correct as well. He would be my choice if I were going for purebreds. 2 is a nice bird too. I just like 3 better. I agree with your assessment of 1. He wouldn't make it into my flock.

Is my Welsh supposed to have more coloring on her chest and back?

Her bill and feet should be all one color and all dark. Her coloring isn't correct on her plumage either. She is missing details and color on her torso and has too much on her head in comparison. Welsh girls should have a little color on their heads but the body should be darker. Not show quality, but then I'm used to silvers. Is her wing bar brown or blue? She could be a very light gold.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom