Welsh Harlequin

I was wondering - how many coloring changes do these ducks go through a year? I adopted two WH ducks about 6 weeks ago, and they had much lighter feathers and were laying every day. After a few weeks, they stopped laying and molted. Right now, most of their feathers have grown back, but they are a deep russet color. I have a gold and a silver, and they are both looking very red to me right now. Does this mean they will start laying again? Is this their fall/winter coloring? I am new to this breed, I will post some pictures if anyone is interested.

Tatooed - the breast color can help identify them as can the pattern, but what I have found to be 99% true is the dark ring around the beak, and the pattern on the dark feathers leading to the tail. Pin striping is mail, and lacing effect is female. These 2 things have ALWAYS held true for me. Even when I hatched out an extremely masculine female this year...
It almost looks like there will be a ring around her beak, but there isn't she's just got a very dark head. But, notice the pattern towards the tail... it's got an almost laced look. The boys tend to look more like pinstripes. See how dark her chest is? Completely mahogany a typically male thing, as well as the darker patterning on her back. I'm curious as to her final coloration but don't have long to wait, she;s in her last juvenile molt now and will be in her breeding plumage soon.
I would consider the parentage. If you are dealing with hatchery birds the mother could have been yellow billed and might lead to the greener bills. I can tell you've definitely got the 1 male, but I can't see the last bird well enough in the background. Good luck, keep us posted on them.
What do you mean by ring around the beak? I will have to take a look at their back feathers. Thanks for the tips =)

Look at the picture of the one you think is a boy. See the really dark feathers all the way around his beak? That is what I am talking about.

I went out yesterday to harass them and try to figure out who is quacking. Looks like they all are. Not going to be pleased if I don't have a drake.

Maybe this will be helpful for you. Some males do begin to quack, but then loose the ability later.... This is one of mine that did this. I gotta say though. This sound is quite different than the girl quack which is clearly a quack.
http://ibarbidahl.blogspot.com/2014/06/quack.html

as for the ring around the bill, some females can get partial ring, but it never seems to go all the way around. THese 4 immature drakes all have the ring around the bill...

How old are yours? they get into their adult plumage around 17-22 weeks. There will be no doubt at that point. THose first few green feathers are a dead giveaway

Are my duckies male or female?

Looks like you have on hand two males. Wait couple of weeks and the voice or curl tail feathers will give a clear indication what you have.

The one that is more reddish brown has a trail feather that is curling already. But the one that is more white appears to have some green coming in on the neck. Is it OK to have 2 makes together?

Back
Top Bottom