Welsummer chick male or female??

orion141

In the Brooder
Jun 10, 2015
Hi all!

I have a wel summer chick I bought about a week ago that was supposed to be a pullet according to the breeder. I am not so sure if he/she really is. I did some reading and noticed that welsummer pullets tend to have the defined v, eyeliner and salmon colored chest. I thought at first this one had the defined v and eyeliner however it has quite the comb already. She/he is supposedly about 5 weeks old. Thanks for your help!! The pics are below.

Thanks again! Hopefully she's not a roo as I cannot keep one...

Interesting! What color should the legs be? Yellow?

If it were a speckled Sussex do you think it is a roo or pullet?

It's got some speckled feathers coming in on the chest, so I'm pretty sure you wound up with a Speckled Sussex. Welsummers have very yellow legs. With a comb that size, at that age, it's definitely a cockerel.

It's got some speckled feathers coming in on the chest, so I'm pretty sure you wound up with a Speckled Sussex. Welsummers have very yellow legs. With a comb that size, at that age, it's definitely a cockerel.

X 2 - the chicks are frequently confused/mixed up as they are both chipmunk marked (along with some other breeds) - it isn't until you start noting other details like leg color, etc that the differences bcome apparent.

Back
Top Bottom