What age do Muscovies start laying and brooding ?

I'm down to about 60 Muscovy's right now and I love them! The ducklings are very saleable around here so if our ladies hide eggs from us and we end up with ducklings, they're easily sold if we don't want them.

My oldest drake will be 2 years old on Valentines day. He's a hair under 20 lbs.....MASSIVE! So are his brothers. They look like hulking feathered dinosaurs walking around my property.

I've rehomed most of my other ducks because I love the Muscovys so much!

Quote:
What was the problem with them ?

Oh, there was no problem with them. It was the problem with me. I was irresponsible and allowed them to hatch about 150 muscovy babies. It was too much for me. I will never ever ever EVER be that irresponsible again. You talk about an army. I had about 10 armys.
lau.gif

Ok. Gotcha. Like TennesseeTruly said, I have also never had a problem selling ducklings here but what I'm actually wanting them for is to hopefully for the most part, have them incubate other duck and goose eggs ( both domestic and wild when I get them) as well as turkeys and maybe even chickens too, so I won't be letting them freely hatch their own eggs unless I need them too. So I will keep up with them and keep them from over populating. Hopefully I can catch the time when they are just starting a nest and fill it with fake (blown and refilled) eggs to get them to start setting, and then give them the eggs I want them to set once they start. I've done that with other ducks before and it worked pretty well. I've just never had any luck hatching waterfowl in the bator and you can beat natural incubation anyway, so that's what I'm hoping for.

This is our first year with muscovies and loving them! Of our 4 females, 3 were born in mid July 2012. (The other is their Mama.) One of the young ducks began laying almost a month ago at just after 6 months. (Mama began laying again at the same time.) This morning I noticed an extra egg and one of the other young ones resting near it and so am assuming it's hers. They are now just under 7 months.
The one that began laying a few weeks ago went broody recently and stayed on her clutch at almost 7 months.

My ducks and drakes are about 4.5 months old now and I am wondering when to expect eggs. Do I feed them something other than grower and what they can forage for? Do they need nesting boxes? Do you think they are laying eggs in the yard hidden from me,....they all go into the hen house at night, they wouldn't leave their eggs would they? Don't want to take over the world with them but would like to have a few more than the 11 we have now. We want to put some in the freezer and raise some more over the winter. Any and all comments welcome we are beginners.

I to am curious as I have a chance to get some. So any info on them that I can get would be great. If I do get them I will be housing them w/ 2 pekin hen and chickens, any comments? I can house them another way also.

My ducks and drakes are about 4.5 months old now and I am wondering when to expect eggs. Do I feed them something other than grower and what they can forage for? Do they need nesting boxes? Do you think they are laying eggs in the yard hidden from me,....they all go into the hen house at night, they wouldn't leave their eggs would they? Don't want to take over the world with them but would like to have a few more than the 11 we have now. We want to put some in the freezer and raise some more over the winter. Any and all comments welcome we are beginners.
My Muscovy's usually start laying around 5-6 months of age, I use an all flock feed and put out oyster shell for extra calcium. Mine sleep in stalls and use them also for laying their eggs, but they will sometimes try to find an out of the way place to lay their eggs so you may have to watch them and if you miss one have to look for it and a nest. When a duck first begins to lay does not mean she will immediately go broody and sit, she may lay quite a few eggs before she does and yes she will leave them till she is ready to commit to brooding.
welcome-byc.gif

I to am curious as I have a chance to get some. So any info on them that I can get would be great. If I do get them I will be housing them w/ 2 pekin hen and chickens, any comments? I can house them another way also.
Muscovy's are seasonal layers and it's getting that time of year when they start slowing down, molting and getting ready for fall and rest. I meant to tell the other poster she may not get eggs till next spring . They should settle into housing with other ducks and chickens as long as their are not any drakes. But even a drake that has plenty of ducks to keep him happy may not mess with chicken hens.

Soooo happy this came up. I have 11 Muscovy ducks, they are about 4 1/2 months -5 months old. The drakes are looking much bigger and they are colouring out on their faces so I think I have identified who is who. Was wondering about eggs, so thanks to everyone who wrote in and educated me.
Leslie

Ok, so you've had your ducks incubate your say chicken eggs, once they hatch, you must have to get the peeps cuz she's no chicken right?! I already have 2 Cochins, I was thinking of getting a few Muscovys cuz my friend has some that she needs to find them a home cuz their only a few weeks old and she lives up by the Canadian Border and it's known to have snow in Sept. Plus the fact that they don't need a pool is great. But there's not to much info on them.

Back
Top Bottom