What are people thinking these days? Venting time!

There is always possible indirect harm for the fact you are selling a baby chicken. People think they are nice and cute whether colored or not. Should we outlaw the selling of natural different colored fuzzy chickens as well?

You know full well that would be impracticable but you also see that selling little teletubbies is more likely to lead to poor treatment of the chicks when they grow up - or sooner if the kids get bored quickly and the parents decide they don't want the hassle.

I don't see the big deal here...It's the same as dying a dog or having him cut fru fru. Should everyone stop doing that because it might cause someone to go buy a puppy that they might not take care of? Where does seller responsibility end, and buyer responsibility begin?

You know full well that would be impracticable but you also see that selling little teletubbies is more likely to lead to poor treatment of the chicks when they grow up - or sooner if the kids get bored quickly and the parents decide they don't want the hassle.
To me it seems impractical to not allow someone to do something that is harmless to an animal.

Last edited:
You are ignoring the posters who rightly raised to point that colouring chicks will probably lead them into the wrong hands.
Unless you do a background check on each and every person you sell an animal to, you run that risk no matter what the animal is, and no matter what color it is. It's a little thing called "Life"...there's no way to guarantee they're going to good homes.
roll.png

Ah, yes, that's exactly how I got my very first chickens!

It was right after Easter and my neighbor had 4 dyed chicks. I was mesmerized by them and kept going to her house. She decided she didn't want to mess with them and gave them to me. Mind you, I was SIX years old at the time and came home with 4 dyed chicks in a cardboard box. Mom made a few calls and a neighbor loaned us a waterer. I have no clue what we fed them but we had the box over the heat register in the dining room so they'd stay warm. I'd play with them every day and then they got bigger and Bigger and BIGGER! We didn't have a coop or facilities for chickens so I took them to a friend who lived on a nearby farm. To the best of my knowledge, they lived happily ever after. Or they were Sunday dinner. Not sure which.

So, yes, they are probably more of an "impulse buy" for people who see them and find them cute without thinking of the long-term care required. My situation had a happy ending even though the chicks went through three sets of owners. At least we made sure that they got to a good permanent home.

Back
Top Bottom