What Are The Most Productive Farm Animals???

I come back to the point that it is better to look at what your land provides and which animal would fit best and than move to the points you want to have.
And o/c how much milk do you want to have. A good milk goat will give 800 kg milk. a milk sheep will give around 600 kg, a water buffelo 2500 kg, the Germans top Jersey cow gave 25.000 kg.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't it bad for milk production if a dairy animal pulls a cart? I heard that since a dairy animal needs all its energy to produce milk, they will not be able to focus all that energy on milk production if they are pulling a cart. If that is true i would suggest getting Jerseys, and getting a heifer to breed for milk and then a steer, or a cow you don't intend to breed to pull the cart. I wouldn't get a bull, Jersey bulls are horrifically nasty.

I should have used that argument when I was breastfeeding. Instead, I was working 40 hours a week at a moderately physical job. Granted, I didn't produce 5 gallons of milk a day, but I did make enough to grow a baby to a year old. I think a moderate amount of pulling, smallish loads like firewood, etc. aren't going to stress the animal that much. You wouldn't want to do long hauls, pack trips or power pulling, but around the farm chores should be fine. Exercise is good for lactating creatures.

Personally, I think that goats are probably your best bet, as they are fairly easy to care for, don't eat a lot, and do most of the things on your list. I've raised and milked cattle on and off for the past 10 years, and one thing I can't stress enough is that you can't just get a cow, stick it out on a pasture and expect it to thrive, I've seen dozens of people do this, and they end up with a scrawny, unhealthy cow. Dairy cows, especially jerseys need high quality forage, if you don't have grass available they will need quality hay. A lactating jersey needs a bare minimum of 4-6 lbs of grain a day (commercial dairies feed their cows as much as 20-30 lbs a grain a day) to produce well. Also if your cow is giving more than 4 gallons, you will need to milk it twice a day. If you do get a milk cow, do a lot of research first, and educate yourself. And I agree with Stacykins on the safe hauling part, again, I can't stress that enough either. On a smaller acreage, goats would be perfect for you. Let me know what you decided, I hope this helps with your decision making, and good luck!

[COLOR=0000FF]So I would like to start up again with my farm, because everyone knows once you have gotten yourself into it there's no tuning back. However I would like an easy-keep, productive animal. I was thinking goats, but I would like to hear what you all have to say and hear from your experiences what animals you guys think would be most productive. Here is a list of things I would like for the animal(s) to do:[/COLOR]

[COLOR=00FFFF]    [/COLOR]
  • [COLOR=0000FF]Be able to pull a small child's wagon (with fire would or manure in it)[/COLOR]

• [COLOR=0000FF]Keep down the grass[/COLOR]

• [COLOR=0000FF]Doesn't eat much[/COLOR]

• [COLOR=0000FF]Provides milk[/COLOR]

• [COLOR=0000FF]And can produce offspring 1-2 a year[/COLOR]

[COLOR=FF0000]*Keep in mind that they don't ''have'' to have these attributes, this is only what I would like for them to do.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000FF]Thanks in advance!!![/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000FF]So I would like to start up again with my farm, because everyone knows once you have gotten yourself into it there's no tuning back. However I would like an easy-keep, productive animal. I was thinking goats, but I would like to hear what you all have to say and hear from your experiences what animals you guys think would be most productive. Here is a list of things I would like for the animal(s) to do:[/COLOR]

[COLOR=00FFFF]    [/COLOR]
  • [COLOR=0000FF]Be able to pull a small child's wagon (with fire would or manure in it)[/COLOR]

• [COLOR=0000FF]Keep down the grass[/COLOR]

• [COLOR=0000FF]Doesn't eat much[/COLOR]

• [COLOR=0000FF]Provides milk[/COLOR]

• [COLOR=0000FF]And can produce offspring 1-2 a year[/COLOR]

[COLOR=FF0000]*Keep in mind that they don't ''have'' to have these attributes, this is only what I would like for them to do.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000FF]Thanks in advance!!![/COLOR]

With limited space, rabbits are great. They can give you meat and, if raising in a colony on the floor, will keep your grass down.

I have a bit of everything... And I find that goats are one of the best for just all around utility animals. My herd I a bunch of dairy/ boer crosses and I've found this cross to be great. The girls are still decent millers but at the same time I have a market for any boy goats born. They don't produce as much milk as say a purebred sannan or as much meat as a purebred boer . My girls only kid once a yr and I'm good with that as its better on their bodies anyways and gives me a break from milking. The size would be great for training a wether for cart. But before you get goats.. Make sure you like the milk first! Also some breeds are known for stronger goat flavored milk then others. I only grain when milking and they get good hay year round but aren't as picky about quality as a horse. I keep a pig or two very yr for butcher and I enjoy it but it's not for everyone.. And I'm not about to go milk them :p, but they are great for eating any excess milk, old eggs or occasional fridge leftovers. Sheep I've found to be very flighty unless bottle fed and even then not the smartest cookies. I have a Dexter/jersey heifer who hopefully I can have bred this fall and make into a milker. I like her size and love her personality but I wouldn't say it was a economical choice considering upfront purchase costs, feed costs, future AI costs and even if she gives me 3 gallons of milk a day my few goats can out produce that. Also I can muscle a goat into milking... Not so sure about about the cow when the time comes which is why I play with her so much now. My best advice start talking to breeders ask what they find to be the pros and cons and work from there. And no matter what you get... Make sure your fences are done right from the beginning, and can hold against the apocalypse( and still expect a escapee)

Back
Top Bottom