What are you canning now?

Today I canned tomato sauce. Thank you for the raspberry butter recipe. Today I was looking online for raspberry plants. Wish I knew someone local who wanted to get rid of some! Oh well! I know that Southern States and Tractor Supply have them in the spring if I can't find them right now!

Maybe. I scan it at least once a week. That is where I found apples free for the picking this year! I came away with about 7 five gallon buckets full plus a few ice cream buckets too.

I have a question for everyone. My sister-in-law has been trying to can green beans. The past few years she has had awful luck. They turn cloudy then go bad. She has tried changing her salt. The amount of salt. She has even bought spring water incase it was the town water. No luck they are still going cloudy. She has been really careful with the canning process. I haven't had any trouble (we are neighbors also), I only lost a few last year. I haven't put mine up yet this year. Anyone have any ides what could be the cause of this? I'd like to know also before I can mine. Thanks!

I have a question for everyone. My sister-in-law has been trying to can green beans. The past few years she has had awful luck. They turn cloudy then go bad. She has tried changing her salt. The amount of salt. She has even bought spring water incase it was the town water. No luck they are still going cloudy. She has been really careful with the canning process. I haven't had any trouble (we are neighbors also), I only lost a few last year. I haven't put mine up yet this year. Anyone have any ides what could be the cause of this? I'd like to know also before I can mine. Thanks!

Is she water bath canning them or pressure canning them?

Ack! BIG no-no. You simply can not get the water hot enough to kill the botulism spores with water bath canning of green beans. They (and other low-acid foods) need to be pressure canned. Water bathing them is simply playing Russian roulette. Get a new copy of the Ball canning book.

If you don't want to spend the money, you can download the "USDA Guide To Canning"
http://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/publications_usda.html

They have a lot of great info on their site... http://nchfp.uga.edu/index.html

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom