What are your chicken goals

I do the exact same thing!😂😂 chair in the run and a hot drink, I sit there for ages just watching them 😂
Same! Well now that we are older and wiser......we have taken our fun to free range. I have 5 chairs set out in all the chickens favorite places in the yard. Whichever chair I decide, they agree and we all migrate together. These big girls have personalities to boot, so, when i hang in the coop these days, they show way too much jealousy and possessiveness. In the coop they focus on me too much. During free range hang outs, they really get into the chicken behavior. Theres nothing better than watching a chicken scratch in the ground. When she really gets goin' and you see the rhythm of that fluffy butt swinging back and forth, shes in the zone and i can watch for ages. My delicious will tell me when its time to migrate. The girls will start heading off to the new place and when established, she'll come back to get me, lmao. I love my hens. They are my best friends. Shhhhh 🐓❤️
Glad I am not alone lol!!

🤣🤣🤣

The closest house in the other direction is abt 1.5 miles
I had property in NW Arizona since 1969. I never even looked at it till 2003. Although i am very neighborly; I would love to try to live there just because my nearest neighbor was five miles and town was roughly 45. Am pretty sure, with all the wildlife, raising chickens would be an accomplishment. lol

So in talks with my hubby, I am realizing my chicken goals are changing.
Originally I wanted a smallish flock (I have 19 girls, 1 cockerel) and whatever extra eggs we get I just give away, mainly at work.

(Literally keeping 60-80 eggs in my fridge, fam of 7, and likely give away 7 dozen or so a wk. )

I knew I wanted to raise our own meat chickens too.

In discussion, I realized I want more eggs to give away! (Yes I said give away, makes my heart super happy to just provide people with eggs) not only that, my kids would like to sell eggs at the farmers market.

So we are nixing the turkeys for now, focused on a second coop and run for abt 30 more chickens!!! These will be dual purpose as the goal to raise our own meat hasn't been eliminated. (Anyone have dual purpose breed suggestions?)

So as of now the goals are:
50 chickens or so running around.
A plethora of eggs to give away/ kids to sell
and meat for the freezer.

What are your chicken goals?
I am, apparently discovering i like big girls, and blondes. So i have decided that since my wife wants chickens, but i have to be responsible for them since she works, i will breed for what i like. So my basic goals are big dual purpose birds that are buff in color. I keep all the birds, including cockerals long enough to learn a bit about personality and how big they will be.
Apparently human aggression is not a trait that is passed from one generation to the next. Likewise with rooster to rooster aggression. So i am more concerned with size and color.
Not religiously; but.

I had property in NW Arizona since 1969. I never even looked at it till 2003. Although i am very neighborly; I would love to try to live there just because my nearest neighbor was five miles and town was roughly 45. Am pretty sure, with all the wildlife, raising chickens would be an accomplishment. lol
That sounds absolutely amazing to be honest with ya lol!!! I enjoy being out where most aren't hahaha

I am, apparently discovering i like big girls, and blondes. So i have decided that since my wife wants chickens, but i have to be responsible for them since she works, i will breed for what i like. So my basic goals are big dual purpose birds that are buff in color. I keep all the birds, including cockerals long enough to learn a bit about personality and how big they will be.
Apparently human aggression is not a trait that is passed from one generation to the next. Likewise with rooster to rooster aggression. So i am more concerned with size and color.
Not religiously; but.
That sounds like a fun and interesting project!!!

I am currently making plans for my extra cocks, I do believe once I figure out breed, they will be the suppliers of meat for the freezer. I likely will try to sell some off but there aren't many chicken owners here.

A new current small chicken goal!

I have acquired this 10 set of nesting boxes FOR FREE!!!

Everything still works including what I call "the egg trap" where all the eggs roll into once they are laid.

The goal is to basically restore them the best I can! And then paint them lol.

Attachments

• IMG_20221204_191102.jpg
    IMG_20221204_191102.jpg
    347.1 KB · Views: 3
Not religiously; but.
you had me at big blondes, lmao! I LOVE big fat chickens too. my biggest I named Al biggie. I like the way the "Al" rolls off the tongue before the Biggie part. 🐔
🐔

A new current small chicken goal!

I have acquired this 10 set of nesting boxes FOR FREE!!!

Everything still works including what I call "the egg trap" where all the eggs roll into once they are laid.

The goal is to basically restore them the best I can! And then paint them lol.
OMGeeze I am so jealous!!! I searched everywhere for one even remotely similar to this...and nothing!

OMGeeze I am so jealous!!! I searched everywhere for one even remotely similar to this...and nothing!
This was such a blessing! It was unbelievable!! I am very thankful. The condition may look totally worn, but a good cleaning totally made a difference, and some rustoleum paint will help perseve it!!

The bottom bar has been reattached in a new location making the bar crooked, but still very functional and stable!

Attachments

• IMG_20221212_170051.jpg
    IMG_20221212_170051.jpg
    650.9 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom