What are your chicken goals

Same! Well now that we are older and wiser......we have taken our fun to free range. I have 5 chairs set out in all the chickens favorite places in the yard. Whichever chair I decide, they agree and we all migrate together. These big girls have personalities to boot, so, when i hang in the coop these days, they show way too much jealousy and possessiveness. In the coop they focus on me too much. During free range hang outs, they really get into the chicken behavior. Theres nothing better than watching a chicken scratch in the ground. When she really gets goin' and you see the rhythm of that fluffy butt swinging back and forth, shes in the zone and i can watch for ages. My delicious will tell me when its time to migrate. The girls will start heading off to the new place and when established, she'll come back to get me, lmao. I love my hens. They are my best friends. Shhhhh 🐓❤️
I used to love taking a break sitting in the back yard awhile trying to watch the chickens. It soon became too crowded in my chair and they decided they enjoyed the chairs so much they would not go back into the coop at night. After the day i found three eggs in my chair i had to quit hanging out with them so much. Then tip and cover my chairs.

I was going to include a photo my wife took without my knowledge that showed me relaxing with a hen in my lap another on my arm rest and my big rooster Rodger perched on my leg. If i can figure out how to get it from her phone to my PC i will share it.

To be able to go on a long vacation without worrying about our chickens, and I wish I could have more. But we‘re only allowed 3.
I do check on my neighbors livestock when he leaves for vacations; but he just leaves enough food and water in his enclosed run to take care of them for up to two weeks. He just got back from a 10 day trip and all i had to do for the chickens was relocate a new feeder he put in that was not readily accessible to all his birds. Do not ask me how big his flock is. It is a bunch including turkeys, guinea and a duck all in the same coop/run.
Not sure why the duck is not outside in his pond with the rest of his waterfowl. lol

I did finally redo the nesting boxes, and have added the first door to the chicken chalet. (It will have a sliding barn door in front) I have a brooder set up for the new chickies...now, to just get them ordered!!

Attachments

• 2022_12_24_16_48_27_566.jpg
    2022_12_24_16_48_27_566.jpg
    669 KB · Views: 3
I did finally redo the nesting boxes, and have added the first door to the chicken chalet. (It will have a sliding barn door in front) I have a brooder set up for the new chickies...now, to just get them ordered!!
Oh wow! I'm delighted i got to see the finished project. I seen the pic a while back you said you were going to 'fix it up'. Well done, it looks so inviting. What do the girls think?

I had thought i would never buy chicks again; it is so much easier when one of the ladies hatches them herself. So i did away with my brooder. But after lots of intense reflection i have been kicking the ideal around about adding one to the new coops. Your post probably just sealed the deal.

I didn't make my goal of ordering on time, so I will be purchasing from feed stores. Hoping to find some barred rock and maybe another good dual purpose bird. I had my eyes on Speckled Sussex but alas, I failed to order....

There's always next yr.

In other news, my current girls decided they no longer appreciate the nesting boxes in their coop, and have proceeded to make their own nest 🤣🤣🤣 (this is in my first coop, they aren't the ones using the redone boxes!)

Attachments

• 20230207_114954.jpg
    20230207_114954.jpg
    694.8 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom