What are your chicken goals

I don't have any chicken goals other than developing a new breed of chicken! Of course, we aren't going to go through the trouble of making it an actual breed, it's just going to be something to do! :) We aren't aiming for specific characteristics for the new breed, we are going to see how they turn out.

Our sire is going to be our Cochin/Ameraucana rooster and the dam is going to be our Welsummer (when she grows up).
So... just mixes?

I started out with regular feed store chicks, but that was limiting, because I wanted to have chicks when I wanted them, not just March and April. Then I tried my hand at hatching. I was amazed that I could make my own incubators. Then I discovered unique chickens blue feathered ones. Then I found dark egg layers, then I found I could create gray colored eggs. Then when I had more eggs than I needed I gave some to friends, they wanted more eggs than I had to offer. Then I found surprise boxes of chicks and have many surprise breeds and many chickens to supply eggs. This year and into the next season, I am going to not order chicks, because the surprise is fun, but I do end up with breeds I would never pick. I am ordering eggs to hatch this winter. interesting rare, with production, (I have hatched in the winter before.) And wisely not have chicks this spring.
How fun!! All the things you've learned how to do!! And all the info you've learned!!!

Good luck on your hatch!!!

Love your flock goals, that's awesome!

We just started our small flock this summer. I don't know that we have "goals," really, but I guess they would be:
  • Have enough eggs to give to friends and family
  • Continue learning about chickens in general and how to care for them well.
  • Continue visiting, bonding with, and getting to know our own flock.
  • Add to the flock in spring or summer trying a couple of new breeds
  • Don't go crazy lol. We only have room for about a dozen birds, but I could see myself having 20+ VERY easily 😅
Great goals!!! I have a chicken problem too....but alas...a second coop !!!
I don't have any chicken goals other than developing a new breed of chicken! Of course, we aren't going to go through the trouble of making it an actual breed, it's just going to be something to do! :) We aren't aiming for specific characteristics for the new breed, we are going to see how they turn out.

Our sire is going to be our Cochin/Ameraucana rooster and the dam is going to be our Welsummer (when she grows up).
Nice goal!! That'll be a fun project!!! I have a few I'd like to mix as well!!!!

I am excited abt the new possibilities!!!

Mine are a hobby. I like a multi-generational flock. I keep a flock, not individual birds. Birds move in and out of my flock.

I like to let them out. I do not like predators, and have fed way too many of them.

I work hard on the balance of enough eggs for me and mine consistently, and not so many as the chores become too much, the feed bill becomes too much.

If your feed bill is too high, the easiest thing is to reduce your flock numbers.

Mrs K

Mine are a hobby. I like a multi-generational flock. I keep a flock, not individual birds. Birds move in and out of my flock.

I like to let them out. I do not like predators, and have fed way too many of them.

I work hard on the balance of enough eggs for me and mine consistently, and not so many as the chores become too much, the feed bill becomes too much.

If your feed bill is too high, the easiest thing is to reduce your flock numbers.

Mrs K
There will be a constant rotation going on as we cull for the freezer. I acknowledge the feed bill will go up and will assess as need be, but as of now with finances it's definetly doable!
As for the chores, I enjoy them...thoroughly, in all seriousness...its nice and relaxing after a long day at work, spending time with the flock I love!! Spending time with the pig, he's a pain but I also enjoy taking care of him.

These are great things to keep in mind when building a flock and setting goals!!!

Light Sussex?
As far as my goals go, the trouble is they change about once a day 🤦‍♀️ but overall I want to have eggs, have meat, and sell surplus pullets. But the breeding goals are hopeless, at least it keeps it interesting!
I'll have to look into the Light Sussex breed, I don't know anything abt them!!!

I've not thought abt selling pullets!!! 🤔🤔🤔

Those are really great goals!

I want to rescue unwanted, spent, deformed, or special needs chickens. And maybe cockerels/roosters. I don't think that will happen for a while.

For now, I want a pretty and functional coop. My current one is just functional. So I'm currently waiting patiently for a time when I have enough time and money to do the following:
  • Move our metal shed (houses the riding mower, chipper, log splitter, and kayaks) to behind the workshop
  • Build a new goat house where the metal shed was
  • Move the current goat house near the new goat house and turn that into a coop
  • Build a new, larger fenced and covered yards for the birds
  • Maybe get some turkeys and/or geese
That's a lot of work. And I need hubby's blessing, too. I'm hoping spring???

Those are really great goals!

I want to rescue unwanted, spent, deformed, or special needs chickens. And maybe cockerels/roosters. I don't think that will happen for a while.

For now, I want a pretty and functional coop. My current one is just functional. So I'm currently waiting patiently for a time when I have enough time and money to do the following:
  • Move our metal shed (houses the riding mower, chipper, log splitter, and kayaks) to behind the workshop
  • Build a new goat house where the metal shed was
  • Move the current goat house near the new goat house and turn that into a coop
  • Build a new, larger fenced and covered yards for the birds
  • Maybe get some turkeys and/or geese
That's a lot of work. And I need hubby's blessing, too. I'm hoping spring???
That is a good amount of work!!! But I love doing that kind of stuff, it can be so fun!!
We are hoping to get our 30 new birds in spring but I first must finish the Chicken Chateau and run! Weather has changed here so that is also a likely spring project.

Winter time kills me!!! I love all the projects!!

I'll have to look into the Light Sussex breed, I don't know anything abt them!!!
I find mine to be very good layers, including though winter (although all mine are quite young, the oldest is a 2 years) make good meat birds, and are very easy to handle. They do go broody quite a lot, and make good mothers. Coronation Sussex are also excellent, but slightly harder to get.

That is a good amount of work!!! But I love doing that kind of stuff, it can be so fun!!
We are hoping to get our 30 new birds in spring but I first must finish the Chicken Chateau and run! Weather has changed here so that is also a likely spring project.

Winter time kills me!!! I love all the projects!!
Oh, I love it, too!

I only have 18 chickens, and I do sell eggs, but I've started earning enough selling them to cover feed costs.... only now it's winter.

You'll have a great time with all those biddies running around! And you've got lots of time to plan and get prepared. I know so much more now than when I first started. I'm so looking forward to redesigning my coop so that it "works" better. And the goat house! Manure management has been a real challenge, even with composting. Winter has weather challenges - drainage issues, specifically. I've been trying to iron those out for 2 years now.

You are smart to get all that minutiae dealt with now. I bet it'll save your sanity later!

Back
Top Bottom