What breed are these bantam babies?

Yes definitely a cockerel too and I would say it's probably a d'Uccle/pekin cross. Good to hear that you are far enough away to be safe from bird flu. Lucky you!....Although maybe not so lucky regarding both of these bantam's being males. :/  

Has there been any bird flu across the pond?
Hopefully not :fl
Goodluck
Fionn.

Last edited:
Really? I honestly think it's a pullet. It certainly behaves like one! The white rooster has double the size comb and wattles and bright red and they are the same age. (The pics of him were taken 2 weeks prior). He also started crowing around 3 weeks ago. The brown/red one doesn't crow, and when I come up behind her to pick her up, she does the squat they do when they're mating (like all my girls do when I want to pick them up).

The white one is more dominant which is why this one doesn't crow. Squatting at that age is just a submissive posture because it is low ranking. At 10 weeks that comb is way too big and pink to be a pullet's head gear.

Buggar. Lol
I might buy some more chicks for my other broody then and try my luck again :)
Thank you!

I would probably buy sexed chicks this time, to give yourself better odds.
I hatch chicks from my own flock and last summer and I had over 70% cockerels, so you are not the only one with bad luck. Out of 56 chicks, that's a lot of chicken soup and coq au vin! The year before wasn't much better. I keep hoping next year will be my pullet year.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom