What breed?

so now it's almost 3 months late. One of the chickens had to be put down. Vet did xrays and said the ligament was torn and would be crazy money to fix . The one that has survived turned out to be a rooster. I still have know idea what breed he is. He has a bum leg but gets around. Started crowing last week. Any ideas what breed hE it?

so now it's almost 3 months late. One of the chickens had to be put down. Vet did xrays and said the ligament was torn and would be crazy money to fix . The one that has survived turned out to be a rooster. I still have know idea what breed he is. He has a bum leg but gets around. Started crowing last week. Any ideas what breed hE it?
He's an Easter Egger cockerel.

agree with Michael. I am very suspicious of people that say, they got the birds from a friend etc. More likely they think by saying this they have no responsibility as to breed, sex, age or condition. I would run if someone like that offered to sell birds .

Is "Easter egger" another way to say "mutt"?

Sort of - it is more like how Cinnamon Queen, Red Star, etc are another way to say Red Sex Link. Yes, they are mixed breed birds, aka mutts, but they are mixed with a purpose - in the case of Easter Eggers they are mixed breed birds crossed with the intent of resulting in chicks who produce blue/green eggs.

Is "Easter egger" another way to say "mutt"?
Yes and no; like mutts, Easter Eggers are mixed breeds. However unlike mutts, EEs are specific mixed breeds crossed for a specific purpose. EEs are produced by crossing blue egg layers with brown egg layers to produce offspring that lay eggs in different colors. The term "mutt" usually refers to any mix of breeds with no specific purpose or outcome in mind.

Back
Top Bottom