What breeds could I call these little guys?

Oh and any gender ideas are welcome, they’re too young to be sure but I got a few guesses just based off the behavior and carrots comb size, since his mom was a pea comb I’m thinking if he was a she he would have inherited at least a rose comb

I have a bunch of mixed chicks, I’m aware of who’s is who’s for most of them but I don’t know what to mark them as while selling.
List them as barnyard mixes, or maybe as "designer chicks" if you are feeling fancy. If you want, you can list the exact mix for each chick that you know it for.

Some I feel could be marked as breeds… I’m just not positive which ones.
Do you have any hens the same breed as any of your roosters? If no, then there are no purebred chicks at all.

There are commonly accepted names for some specific mixes of chickens, but I don't think any of your chicks are those specific mixes.

From what I can tell (where I sell chicks) breeds with names sell better than barnyards. Barnyards will sell they’ll just take longer… which means more waiting for my dog :pop
If people really want purebred chicks, then they probably won't buy your mixes anyway, unless you lie about what they are.

But if just having some kind of name makes a difference, you could give a name that is accurate without saying much. You could name them them for yourself (____'s Brown Eggers) or for where you live (Wasilla Special) or if you have a farm with a name you could use that, or something of the sort.

And you could certainly call them "locally raised."

List them as barnyard mixes, or maybe as "designer chicks" if you are feeling fancy. If you want, you can list the exact mix for each chick that you know it for.

Do you have any hens the same breed as any of your roosters? If no, then there are no purebred chicks at all.

There are commonly accepted names for some specific mixes of chickens, but I don't think any of your chicks are those specific mixes.

If people really want purebred chicks, then they probably won't buy your mixes anyway, unless you lie about what they are.

But if just having some kind of name makes a difference, you could give a name that is accurate without saying much. You could name them them for yourself (____'s Brown Eggers) or for where you live (Wasilla Special) or if you have a farm with a name you could use that, or something of the sort.

And you could certainly call them "locally raised."
I do not have the same hen as rooster quite yet… they’re still too young.

I don’t plan to lie about my chickies, I’ve fallen for those kinds and it’s super disappointing for sure

I did not think of locally raised, hm… something like locally raised variety should work. Thank you! Maybe sectioning their swap meet brooders for each color layer will work… I did not have any blue eggs make it this hatch so it will be helpful for later on

Oh and any gender ideas are welcome, they’re too young to be sure but I got a few guesses just based off the behavior and carrots comb size, since his mom was a pea comb I’m thinking if he was a she he would have inherited at least a rose comb
Pea and Rose comb are opposites. (To simplify the terminology). Genetically a Pea comb is P and Rose comb is R. PP and Pp both show as Pea comb. RR and Rr both show as Rose comb. PR shows as walnut comb (like silkies). Straight comb shows as pr.

Pea and Rose comb are opposites. (To simplify the terminology). Genetically a Pea comb is P and Rose comb is R. PP and Pp both show as Pea comb. RR and Rr both show as Rose comb. PR shows as walnut comb (like silkies). Straight comb shows as pr.
Cushion, V, strawberry, and Buttercup all fall outside the above comb info and crossing any of them leads to semi-unpredictable results.

Cushion, V, strawberry, and Buttercup all fall outside the above comb info and crossing any of them leads to semi-unpredictable results.

Not quite. Cushion, Strawberry, and Walnut are all genetically pea + rose. ("Walnut" in genetics literature.)

The various comb appearances were named before the genetics were understood, which is why we have some inconsistent names. A "single" comb can be large or small, with more or less points, standing straight up or flopping over. A "rose" comb can be large or small, with or without a point on the back, with or without little bumps all over. A comb with both pea & rose genes can be large or small, bumpier or smoother, but the breed descriptions call them by different names (cushion, strawberry, walnut) instead of having a single name for all of them.

Yes, V and Buttercup are cause by different genes than any of the others, and give semi-unpredictable results when crossed with the pea or rose genes. People have studied how V and Buttercup interact with each other, and with single combs, but how they interact with pea and rose is not figured out very well.

Not quite. Cushion, Strawberry, and Walnut are all genetically pea + rose. ("Walnut" in genetics literature.)

The various comb appearances were named before the genetics were understood, which is why we have some inconsistent names. A "single" comb can be large or small, with more or less points, standing straight up or flopping over. A "rose" comb can be large or small, with or without a point on the back, with or without little bumps all over. A comb with both pea & rose genes can be large or small, bumpier or smoother, but the breed descriptions call them by different names (cushion, strawberry, walnut) instead of having a single name for all of them.

Yes, V and Buttercup are cause by different genes than any of the others, and give semi-unpredictable results when crossed with the pea or rose genes. People have studied how V and Buttercup interact with each other, and with single combs, but how they interact with pea and rose is not figured out very well.
Thanks for clarifying. Finding info beyond the basic pea/rose is challenging.

Back
Top Bottom