What can I do about my nasty hen?

I don't think it's cruel
I have a broody breaker and I use it as a timeout box for my girls if there is one that gets mean. I have only had to use it once for timeout. It let's the flock reset itself without the trouble maker.

In my opinion, "cruel" is mistreatment. You are not mistreating this bird if you isolate her for a few days. It would be "cruel" to put her alone in a tiny cage with no protection from the elements, or food and water. Isolating for a few days to reset her attitude then returning her to the flock is not mistreating her. I agree with Mrs. K's philosophy in making decisions for the betterment of the flock - not just one bird. And, as Donrae has said, your chicken may not be happy, but she'll get over it. You're the human and it's up to you to make the decisions.

Well, she seems to think it’s cruel. There is a 2 foot long, 6 inch deep trench where she’s been pacing since last night. This is with everyone locked up in the run and no more than 10 feet from her.

It could be time to think about re-homing. I don’t have the facilities to manage this long term and she might be happier in a larger flock.

First egg is here. Small and tan but she laid it in the dishpan. She also gathered up every loose feather she could find (from the previous chick tenants) and made a fancier nest than I provided.

My fingers are crossed that she settles down soon. The squawking has stopped but she's still pacing.

First egg is here. Small and tan but she laid it in the dishpan. She also gathered up every loose feather she could find (from the previous chick tenants) and made a fancier nest than I provided.

My fingers are crossed that she settles down soon. The squawking has stopped but she's still pacing.
It's not blue?!?!?
Off
with her head!!!!
LOL.

She's upset to be separated from the flock, exacerbated by the newly laying hormone surge....
.....POL (point of lay) bird should be easy to sell, worth $15-20 anyway.

Yes, it was a major let down to get tan! She hatched out of a big, blue egg in my daughter’s bedroom and has blue legs. I was told that would make it a sure thing. LOL

Said daughter will be the kink in re-homing but I’m going to put some feelers out and see what happens. It’s been many weeks of not being able to please everyone and I’m gaining perspective.

Yes, it was a major let down to get tan! She hatched out of a big, blue egg in my daughter’s bedroom and has blue legs. I was told that would make it a sure thing. LOL

Said daughter will be the kink in re-homing but I’m going to put some feelers out and see what happens. It’s been many weeks of not being able to please everyone and I’m gaining perspective.
Depends on who da mommy and daddy were....if blue egg came from an EE cross, that cuts the chance in half.

I found a place for her that sounds like a great situation. Much like this but on a larger scale and the bonus of a rooster.

They have a mini homesteading operation and allow visitors to buy their fruit, vegetables and eggs on Saturdays so we would be able to see her. Instead of being upset, my daughter is really excited about this.

Back
Top Bottom