what color is my chicken (the result of two different wyandotte colors)

gretchen3212

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 18, 2014
Ohio
this chick was the result of a blue laced red Wyandotte rooster and a Columbian Wyandotte hen, both pictured below. looking up chicken colors online I have been able to find similar colors and patterns but nothing quite like this. is anyone else familiar with this color?

Looks like a red to me. But who knows, as it grows it could completely change colors. I seen it happen myself.

Well we know she is a pullet. My experience has been that her final pattern will most closely resemble a buff columbian pattern with some extra partial lacing, or ticking showing. In her case a blue buff columbian"ish" look.

welcome-byc.gif

I'm just tossing this out there, but I think colombian Wyandottes may be wheaton based, and that's where this color is coming from. Be interesting to see what the more educated folks say.

welcome-byc.gif

I'm just tossing this out there, but I think colombian Wyandottes may be wheaton based, and that's where this color is coming from. Be interesting to see what the more educated folks say.

If that is the case, I retract my post. All my experience is with eb based columbian Brahmas

And I'll readily bow to your experience, as I have none myself
wink.png
. I thought some Colombian birds were wheaten based, some not, but I'm not deep enough into the genetics to know which is which, or even if I'm just blowing smoke. Guess we'll look for a Wyandotte person to amble along....

Back
Top Bottom