What color is this rooster?

Pics

buckock

Songster
Dec 10, 2021
Amelia, Virginia
This guy is a black tailed red maran from Cackle… but. What do you call his color and what gene would cause this expression? I think it might be a dilute gene to change the red to cream but I’m not sure.
4C68964C-CED8-4A87-A101-0CBEF49EC965.jpeg

This guy is a black tailed red maran from Cackle
Youre Wrong Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

Cackle should be ashamed if that's what they are selling. That bird is a mix.

This is what they claim their birds look like:
1684252446787.png

The leg feathering is much better on this bird and the color is correct-ish. Your rooster has nearly no feathering on the legs. It also isn't built like a Marans, IMO. He looks like he's got Dominant White and all the color you see is red leakage. It certainly isn't dilute.

@The Moonshiner - what do you think?

I used him to make some mixed marans and olive eggers. The olive eggers are from a splash and blue ameraucana as well as a cream legbar hen. The Ameraucana mixes are blue with some gold leakage - I can get photos. The marans hens were cuckoo and wheaten. The boys are pretty clear with darker feathers and/or barring. Curious to see if his lighter coloring manifests itself and what I can learn about genetics in the process.

Youre Wrong Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

Cackle should be ashamed if that's what they are selling. That bird is a mix.

This is what they claim their birds look like:
View attachment 3507366
The leg feathering is much better on this bird and the color is correct-ish. Your rooster has nearly no feathering on the legs. It also isn't built like a Marans, IMO. He looks like he's got Dominant White and all the color you see is red leakage. It certainly isn't dilute.

@The Moonshiner - what do you think?

I’m not upset. Cackle have only been working on the breed since 2020 and the chicks are all white so his fault wouldn’t have been apparent at hatch. Also, he came in a hatchery surprise box that had a ton of amazing chicks. If I’d gotten him specifically as a breeding rooster, sure I’d have been disappointed. But… this is way more fun.

Question about the dominant white… wouldn’t one of his parents had to have been white? I have a hard time believing any hatchery would have allowed that in a breeding flock! Also, even if he was only I/I+, 50% of his chicks would be white (none are). I love this mystery!

Last edited:
I’m not upset. Cackle have only been working on the breed since 2020 and the chicks are all white so his fault wouldn’t have been apparent at hatch. Also, he came in a hatchery surprise box that had a ton of amazing chicks. If I’d gotten him specifically as a breeding rooster, sure I’d have been disappointed. But… this is way more fun.

Question about the dominant white… wouldn’t one of his parents had to have been white? I have a hard time believing any hatchery would have allowed that in a breeding flock!
That's my point. He's not a pure Marans, especially since he was in a mystery box. He honestly looks like a Red Sex-link rooster with a lot of leakage.

1684255970687.jpeg
Amberlink-Male.jpg
Eric8Mos.JPEG
844576dcd8d9ac5868b7d67bc8eb431a--red-sexlink-chicken-most-beautiful.jpg

@Amer - you're good with genetics.

Back
Top Bottom