What color is this rooster?

That's my point. He's not a pure Marans, especially since he was in a mystery box. He honestly looks like a Red Sex-link rooster with a lot of leakage.

View attachment 3507466
Amberlink-Male.jpg
Eric8Mos.JPEG
844576dcd8d9ac5868b7d67bc8eb431a--red-sexlink-chicken-most-beautiful.jpg

@Amer - you're good with genetics.
He does have feathered feet (just not clear from the photo)… so do all his chicks (all 23). He does look like the Sexlink roo but that would be another mistake, since they’re not included in the hatchery box and don’t have feathered feet. Confession- When he was a chick, Cackle’s owner Jeff responded to an ID request and confirmed that he was a Black Tailed Red Marans and commented that the odd coloring sometimes shows up.

He does look like the Sexlink roo but that would be another mistake, since they’re not included in the hatchery box and don’t have feathered feet.
It's true that conventional sex links may not have feathered legs, but I can create Black Sexlinks with a Black Copper Marans rooster over Cream Crested Legbar hens to get feather-legged birds that, at a glance, look like a Black Copper Marans hen. Usually, there's some small head tuft, and of course, they lay an olive-colored green egg. He may be "pure" Marans, meaning he came from two Marans parents, but them throwing chicks that look like that would lead me to wonder what went into producing that variety. Clearly, the birds aren't pure for the variety. I've just spent thirty minutes playing in the calculator and reading about them. They are very much a project from what I gather. People are crossing Wheaten into them. I can't even determine what they are supposed to be genetically to put a pair into the calculator and then tweak genes until I get a male like him.

It's true that conventional sex links may not have feathered legs, but I can create Black Sexlinks with a Black Copper Marans rooster over Cream Crested Legbar hens to get feather-legged birds that, at a glance, look like a Black Copper Marans hen. Usually, there's some small head tuft, and of course, they lay an olive-colored green egg. He may be "pure" Marans, meaning he came from two Marans parents, but them throwing chicks that look like that would lead me to wonder what went into producing that variety. Clearly, the birds aren't pure for the variety. I've just spent thirty minutes playing in the calculator and reading about them. They are very much a project from what I gather. People are crossing Wheaten into them. I can't even determine what they are supposed to be genetically to put a pair into the calculator and then tweak genes until I get a male like him.
I was also curious which is why I used him to hatch chicks. Now I’ll wait to see if his mixed marans offspring lay a dark egg. The offspring are black with gold leakage and/or very wheaten-like.

Back
Top Bottom