What could have happened?

Suebrose2000

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 24, 2012
WV
Our pet duck Lucky died today. He was only about 5 months old. I fed them this morning as usual and there didn't seem to be anything wrong. Then later in the day my son was outside and they were both following him around. Then my son came inside in a panic saying that Lucky was on the ground twitching and Toki was on top of him. I go outside and Toki is on top of him but he has clearly already died because he was limp. It was like Toki was saying get up get up and was pulling at his feathers. There were no visible signs of any kind of injury and my son had just seen him a short time before. We placed Lucky in a box and he appeared to have dirty water or something coming out of his mouth.

They are locked up at night but free range most of the day. I didn't see anything they could have gotten into. However my dad was here and his truck was leaking gas.

The only other thing I can think of is he seemed to be lagging behind our other duck Toki the past few days, but I thought that was because Toki was the dominate one.

Should I worry about Toki? Is there a duck disease that can be spread or could it have been the gas. Or could he have even choked on something?

Thanks

This sounds tragic. Ducks are definitely attracted by dripping water, and if the truck was leaking gas, it's very likely that Lucky got right under that leak and gobbled it up as it came down. It sounds as if he was poisoned by the gas. What position was he in when he died, just to rule out that he died of a virus?

So sad about Lucky.

The only way to be sure is to have a necropsy done a.s.a.p., and to keep Lucky's remains refrigerated, not frozen, till you can get him to a place that does this. In some states, the agricultural colleges will do the necropsy for no charge, just to be sure there is no serious infectious disease involved.

I am so sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

He was just laying like he would normally with his head down(limp). My son is heartbroken.

Most animals are very good at hiding how they feel until sometimes it's too late. since you say they free range might he have eaten something toxic something dead or rotting close by, I would do a search of the area they usually are foraging in just in case there is something there that Toki could get into. You say he was lagging behind Toki for a few days so this probably started then and you just didn't pick up on it. It can easily happen. Now you have to think of Toki, she/he will be awfully lonely with out Lucky, if I was you I'd begin a search for another friend for her, and it will help you get through the grieving part too by getting your son involved. It's a sad time for you all.

Last edited:
You also said he was only 5 months of age...it could have just been a birth defect issue going on :( that happens much more then you think. I am sorry you lost your duck its never easy. I hope you can find a good replacement so Toki doesn' get lonely.

I want to find another duck around the same age or older. The only problem is I have no idea where to find one. There are none in my area. I guess I could post a looking for in the buy and sell area and see if anyone is kinda close to me?

Thanks everyone.

So sorry about Lucky, especially since we have one with the same name...Sounds like he got into something, or was sick and just hiding it well. Keep an eye on Toki. Yeah, unfortunately, they will "test" anything that looks interesting even if it might be bad for them, they just HAVE to! Did anyone wash their car in the drive and leave puddles? Do you use anything on your garden that might be a suspect? So many millions of possiblities, it could be ANYTHING, even a natural substance, or maybe he was just plain sick with something. Do post for a friend for Toki here and also Craigslist has quite a few ducks on there, and post there as well, not everyone knows about BYC. Good luck finding a friend, or two (or 3 LOL, we know how addicted we get). Make sure poor Toki gets lots of spoiling and lots of green peas, give her a hug from us all.

I want to find another duck around the same age or older. The only problem is I have no idea where to find one. There are none in my area. I guess I could post a looking for in the buy and sell area and see if anyone is kinda close to me?

Thanks everyone.
Craigs list is a good place to look if you haven't already. Yes the Buy Sell thread here too.

Back
Top Bottom