junkman56

Songster
7 Years
Sep 7, 2016
Northwestern PA. ( Tionesta )
My Coop
My Coop
Hello all,
One of my red sex links, has a very enlarged crop/chest, and was hoping someone could give me some insight.
Her chest has been large for a long time, but it is really getting big lately,
She seems to be eating ok and drinking, but she isn't as active as the others.
Any input would be appreciated.
Thank you

20190729_064957.jpg
20190729_064849.jpg
20190729_064842.jpg

It appears to me she has sour crop, to treat it put your chicken in a warm & quiet area holding her upside down and gently massage her crop in the direction of the head. Putting apple cider vinegar with yogurt or olive oil in the water is a great way.

Diagnosing crop problems can be frustrating. She may have sour crop, as mentioned, the ultimate cause of that can be varied. It also may be pendulous crop, since it's been this way for a long time. That is when the crop stretches out and sags, making it not empty properly. That is easier to tell if you can feel it. In that case the use of a crop bra can help support the crop and hold it up so that the crop can empty properly (I have one that lives in a crop bra currently). This article has a lot of information that will hopefully help you narrow down the possible causes of what is going on:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ntion-and-treatments-of-crop-disorders.67194/

I would not try to vomit her, since that can cause choking and death. She may have a pendulous crop which occurs when a hen overeats, and stretches the crop wall so much that it loses it’s elasticity. She may also have a fungal or yeast infection which can be treated with Medistatin (nystatin) and some use antifungal cream orally. Many use a crop bra to hold in the crop, which you can make yourself or buy online. Here is an article that might help:
https://www.tillysnest.com/2012/01/crop-issues-html/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

It appears to me she has sour crop, to treat it put your chicken in a warm & quiet area holding her upside down and gently massage her crop in the direction of the head. Putting apple cider vinegar with yogurt or olive oil in the water is a great way.
I put acv in their water daily, and rotate with minced garlic in the water. I will try massaging her crop.
Thank you

Diagnosing crop problems can be frustrating. She may have sour crop, as mentioned, the ultimate cause of that can be varied. It also may be pendulous crop, since it's been this way for a long time. That is when the crop stretches out and sags, making it not empty properly. That is easier to tell if you can feel it. In that case the use of a crop bra can help support the crop and hold it up so that the crop can empty properly (I have one that lives in a crop bra currently). This article has a lot of information that will hopefully help you narrow down the possible causes of what is going on:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ntion-and-treatments-of-crop-disorders.67194/
Thank you

Hello all,
very enlarged crop/chest, and was hoping someone could give me some insight.
Her chest has been large for a long time, but it is really getting big lately,
She seems to be eating ok and drinking, but she isn't as active as the others.
Any input would be appreciated.

I agree, it looks like she has a pendulous crop. I would feel the crop first thing in the morning to see if it's emptying. Smell her breath while you are at it so see if it's sour smelling.

Please do not vomit her at this time - she seems to be eating/drinking o.k. The article link provided by coach723 is a good one.

Do you know when this girl last laid an egg?

I would not massage her crop since that can cause a boggy crop to empty back up into the throat where she could aspirate. ACV is controversial in sour crop. Many sources say that it can make things worse, while others recommend it. Probiotics would be a better choice. Overweight hens and those who suffer from reproductive disorders, such as internal laying or ascites can suffer crop problems more frequently.

I agree, it looks like she has a pendulous crop. I would feel the crop first thing in the morning to see if it's emptying. Smell her breath while you are at it so see if it's sour smelling.

Please do not vomit her at this time - she seems to be eating/drinking o.k. The article link provided by coach723 is a good one.

Do you know when this girl last laid an egg?
I dont know when she last laid an egg

Back
Top Bottom