What did you do in the garden today?

Hi everyone. Woke up feeling a little better today. Would love to get my tomatoes in the ground. Mid-day rain in the forecast. If it holds off long enough to do them I will be very grateful. They are pushing 18 inches high and reeeealy need to get put out there. Can’t plant my cukes & squash in seed trays until I free up the trays I am using for the tomato pots. Lol. Fingers crossed I keep some energy. Hoping the worst is over.

Good morning gardeners. Yesterday was awful hot for this time of year in New England. We hit 90F briefly. Good news is my lettuce starts survived the heat. I did get the mowing caught up and cleaned the slope where I planted my Winter Heath. They’re all growing. I wish they would grow and spread faster to block out the grass and weeds. DD is off to a good start on her garden. Yesterday she planted 2 - 15 foot rows of tomatoes and a boatload of pepper plants. I let her know she will be learning how to can in a couple of months. She’s headed back to plant more stuff today. Today I’ll be prepping the containers for my summer squash and cucumber plants. After they’re planted, I’m done. Just watering, weeding and feeding. I ordered a new watering can from Amazon. The compost in my tumbler is lovely and ready for use so I thought I would mix a little compost tea to feed the plants when they need it. Not working too hard today but I do need to clean my charcoal smoker grill for the first ribs of the season. Have a great day everyone.

Good morning everyone. I did physical labor and feel better now. Trees are in!
41CA175B-17A3-42B0-B413-3089AC7EFFE8.jpeg

Also got two stakes in to hold up some shade cloth for late afternoon shade
F659E0D4-9556-4F8F-8638-023C8FA55FE7.jpeg

Shade garden
552D8352-5E85-47ED-B56B-927E10F6D89A.jpeg
8685E90B-6EC6-4DF9-9788-F25CDD599682.jpeg

Last edited:
I took apart a couple bales of straw this morning and did some mulching. I managed to do the asparagus, watermelons, cantaloupe, sweet potatoes and 1/4 each of the corn and regular potatoes before my back decided we were done stooping for the day.

Attachments

• 20220515_094340.jpg
    20220515_094340.jpg
    821.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220515_094337.jpg
    20220515_094337.jpg
    827.5 KB · Views: 1
Hello gardeners! Today has been dedicated to SAR - Search and Rescue. I really need to limit my vacationing to winter time, I think. Of course, who would have predicted 90+ degrees in May? Most of my plants that were not yet planted are dead. Weeds and grass have taken over just about everything. I've been working for 6 1/2 hrs straight today and I've barely scratched the surface. I did manage a high level pass on weeding and got the worst offenders. I got everything passably watered. Supposed to storm imminently so I'll let Mother Nature give everyone a healthy long drink.

I'm slightly concerned about my Catawba grapes. Does anyone know why they look like this or what to do about it? They've been fertilized... Not sure why they aren't opening up? What's even more strange is the raspberries which grow in a raised bed in front of them also look weird like this?
20220515_115630.jpg

20220515_115622.jpg

Conversely, the Concord grapes look very good...

20220515_120051.jpg

The green onions are flowering.

20220515_115916.jpg

I managed to get my dandelion transplanting done before it started sprinkling..

Now a rant... I don't think our kids took very good care of the animals and my plants. They are 18 and 20 years old so no excuse for their half-@$$ efforts. I won't even go into the laundry list of mess I had to contend with except to say I think all my animals are VERY HAPPY we are back home. I had to move 10 chicks to an outdoor brooder to make room for 5 new chicks who can't be more than a day or two old and abandoned by their mom. I'm sure they all would have died if I hadn't come home last night. The chicks I took out to the other brooder are 2-3 weeks old. Not fully feathered yet and I have no heat out there but they are mostly feathered and it's not getting below 65 degrees so I hope they will be OK.

Back
Top Bottom