What did you do with your first egg?

lynss94

Chirping
Jun 18, 2015
North Carolina
So I just got my first egg this morning!! Yippee! What did anyone do with their first egg? Still wondering what I should do and was looking for ideas!

Thanks!
lol.png

So I just got my first egg this morning!! Yippee! What did anyone do with their first egg? Still wondering what I should do and was looking for ideas!

Thanks!
lol.png

Umm, probably not what you want to hear, but I throw out the first couple of weeks of eggs of the season. Mine tend to not be good for hatching when they first start laying, and we don't eat duck eggs.

I don't know which one laid it either, can you tell the species that laid it by the size and color? I was thinking of baking a cake after I got about three
big_smile.png

Are the first ones not good for eating too? I don't have a drake so I know they're not fertilized.

I don't have any experience with that since we don't eat duck eggs, but a lot of people eat them. I don't see why you couldn't do that. For me it's about eggs that will produce healthy ducklings, and the very first eggs of the season don't do that as well as after they've been laying for a while.

Maybe, depends on the kind of ducks. My mallard eggs are light blue and the size of a jumbo chicken egg, Cayugas are black to light tan, but my pekin/ mallard crosses lay both blue and white....

Maybe, depends on the kind of ducks. My mallard eggs are light blue and the size of a jumbo chicken egg, Cayugas are black to light tan, but my pekin/ mallard crosses lay both blue and white....

Ahh I see, I have a Khaki and Pekin. I'm about 80% sure it was my Pekin because as I was told by @JadeComputerGal Khaki's don't start laying as soon as other breeds and there was a white feather by the egg.

Back
Top Bottom