What did you do with your flock today?

It's been so wet and gloomy the past several weeks with one atmospheric river after another pouring down rain, plus gusty winds and hail storms, my 8 hens have been hunkered down under the coop and covered run with only a few rainless spells to chicken-around outside. I felt bad for them, only so much amusement to be had under cover.

We finally had a sunny day today, so I tried out a chicken-toy idea I read somewhere here on BYC: a heavy plastic liter drink bottle with lots of pencil-diameter holes drilled in it, with about a cup of scratch inside. I wasn't sure if they'd be afraid of it, or not figure out how to get the grains out, but hoped they'd be curious and work at it.

Oh, boy, was THAT a hit! Jill the Delaware, Queen Pauline's 2nd in command, is always a very determined and vigorous scratcher and she glommed onto it immediately, kicking the bottle around their yard till a few grains spilled out then stopping to peck them up. She soon had a crowd of VERY eager fans wanting to participate - but she didn't want anyone else to have a turn with rolling the bottle! ("Mine!")

They are usually a very mellow flock, well settled hierarchy, but that scratch bottle brought out the chain of command in sharp detail! Jill was fine with sharing the spilled bits of scratch with her pals Pauline and Xena, but Queen Pauline actually chased away Sheila and Rhonda (#4 & 5 in order), and the other 3 lower ranked girls quickly decided to go do something else entirely.

Pauline's such a mellow flock queen, at times I've thought she'd "abdicated" but she was on full display today -- a smallish Buff Orpington fluffing, flapping and chasing off the much heftier Australorp and RIR! Then she was right back to enjoying the bits of scratch Jill was kicking out of the treat bottle. Well, well...

(There was no violence, pecking, etc.)

When it started to get dark 5 of them were still crowded around playing with the bottle (Jill finally let the others have a turn) to the point that it was after their usual "go to roost" time and only the 3 bottom-rank girls had gone inside. I took the bottle away for the night and they seemed to "come out of it" -- "Oh, wait...how'd it get so late? What am I doing outside?" and one by one meandered into the coop - Pauline last in.

Curfew, girls!

I've never seen them so obsessed with a toy. And they only got about 1/4 of the scratch out of it, if that much, plus lots of exercise rolling it all around their yard. Next time I'll bring my phone out there and try to get video...

Wish I could remember who suggested the scratch bottle idea, I'd love to thank them! Simple, cheap, using stuff already lying around, and the girls absolutely love it. I'll only let them have it a few hours at a time, keep it fresh & novel (and reasonably clean!)
You know what I'll be making this weekend right? 🤣😂🤣🥰 I don't have any liter bottles but I do have some clear gallon jugs from distilled water... hopefully they work well too 🤔🤞

It’s been a roller coaster ride of sadness this month. We had a terrible round of coccidiosis and mites (no where to dust bathe it’s all mud everywhere) and lost several birds. :-( So I’ve been dealing with sadness and guilt that I can’t seem to provide enough dry ground during these atmospheric river storms that are apparently the norm anymore. We have had two days of dry so I am beginning the work to dry things out and fix the muddy messes and clean out all the mites. I’ve gone thru a bottle of CORID, two huge bottles of permethrin, straw, shavings, PDZ, Lime, meds and vitamins…and think I finally slowed the dying. I also found a hole in my quail pen where the rats were reaching thru the hardware cloth and killing the quail…so it’s been a rough month!! Needless to say I haven’t felt like talking about the birds much…

Today we drove 100 miles to deliver 6 bantam Ameraucana chicks to a family from south of Fresno that really wanted pure Ameraucanas. They have two little ones and the daughter is probably 5 and just super excited about them 😍 So that was fun but I still find it hard to let go of them when I hatch them. They’re my babies once they’re out of the eggs! 😆 But that is why I hatched them right? 😆
So sorry the weather's been so hard on everyone there ☹️☹️☹️. Are your runs covered and the rains so relentless it's still getting in? Trying to think of anything to help! We get monsoon rains here and I'm wondering if anything that helps for monsoon season could help you there. :hugs

The store that I am going to get my chicks from have: Barred Rocks, Black Sex Links, Cinnamon Queens, Easter Eggers, Salmon Favorelles, Silver Laced Wyandottes and White Leghorns.
What a fun selection! However will you choose? The Farm Store had several different breeds available too, but I wanted Buff Orpingtons this time around and was so thankful to find these three there.

The sun came out today!

I ran the mower around the thick weedy patches in the yard and dumped the clippings in the run.
IMG_20240308_132433048~2.jpg

IMG_20240308_151739498~2.jpg

IMG_20240308_162055452~2.jpg

The girls had three hours free time in the yard today. Plus they went down into the woods and scratched around there too.

They know that I don't appreciate it when they climb the stairs up to the deck in back of the house, but all seven of them went up there at the same time today. I don't like chicken poop on the deck. LOL

When they saw me driving over to them on the riding mower they all ran down the stairs and went back down to the woods.

Funny chickens!
"Scram!!! We're busted!" 😄😆😂

It’s been a roller coaster ride of sadness this month. We had a terrible round of coccidiosis and mites (no where to dust bathe it’s all mud everywhere) and lost several birds. :-( So I’ve been dealing with sadness and guilt that I can’t seem to provide enough dry ground during these atmospheric river storms that are apparently the norm anymore. We have had two days of dry so I am beginning the work to dry things out and fix the muddy messes and clean out all the mites. I’ve gone thru a bottle of CORID, two huge bottles of permethrin, straw, shavings, PDZ, Lime, meds and vitamins…and think I finally slowed the dying. I also found a hole in my quail pen where the rats were reaching thru the hardware cloth and killing the quail…so it’s been a rough month!! Needless to say I haven’t felt like talking about the birds much…

Today we drove 100 miles to deliver 6 bantam Ameraucana chicks to a family from south of Fresno that really wanted pure Ameraucanas. They have two little ones and the daughter is probably 5 and just super excited about them 😍 So that was fun but I still find it hard to let go of them when I hatch them. They’re my babies once they’re out of the eggs! 😆 But that is why I hatched them right? 😆
Ohhh, man, kurby, that's heartbreaking!🥺😢 I'm so sorry you lost several of your flock especially when you're trying so hard to protect and heal them, and the elements are against you.

I feel your frustration, we've been clobbered with one atmospheric river storm after another since January (I think we may be on the same weather path) and the ground is so saturated, moisture seeped all the way under the raised coop & covered run, soaked the soil and layers of wood chips, and got into what I thought was a fully sheltered dust bath area. My girls had mud streaks on their feathers from trying to get clean.😖

I belatedly figured out I needed to crawl under the coop and set up a deep plastic pan filled with dry sand for them to bathe in, which has helped, but they still track wetness up the ramp and onto the coop floor, and their sand bath gets damp from wet chickens thrashing in it so I have to change out the sand. (We have no dry dirt anywhere!) Plus with so much rain, I've discovered water seeping in from the nestbox lid hinges and at the back access door. It's been a huge challenge trying to give them some dry spaces other than where they roost at night above it all.

I mean, we need the rain but there can surely be too much of a good thing without decent drying-out breaks in between!

This is my first winter with chickens and it's been a doozy, wettest one since we've lived here - an awful lot of "lessons learned" I need to remedy before next winter's rainy season.

I hope things improve for you very soon!🤞:hugs

Back
Top Bottom