What did you do with your flock today?

I wonder if she was feeling ill and unable to hold her position because of it? Have you given her a good once over to see if there's any health issues? I have seen chickens attack ill birds or birds that took fright over something. It's not the typical flock response, but can happen. How's she doing now?
She seems to be good. I did check to see if I could find anything wrong, but she seems healthy. Comb is the right color, crop is doing it's thing, abdomen is appropriately squishy, no odd droppings or poo sticking to feathers. She's eating and drinking fine. She actually perked right up when I put her in a sick pen.
She's currently a little grumpy because she wants to go back to the flock, but Texas is menopausal again, and I don't think the 20⁰ drop in temp or the 40mph wind is a good day to put her back outside. So, she's probably going back out tomorrow.

Martha's on day 19...
IMG_20240406_111139078.jpg

:fl

One of the other Speckled Sussex hens, Hannah, is acting bossy. Abigail, a Dominique, has been trying to lay in one of the boxes this morning, but Hannah climbs in on top of Abigail, who leaves.
IMG_20240406_114732443.jpg

Are you satisfied, Hannah?

No one messes with Martha, ever, and yet she's not bossy, just The Boss Hen.

IMG_20240406_105418974~2.jpg

So the Dominiques are taking turns using the wheelbarrow as a nest.

Moved 5 & 6 week old chicas outside and extended the 3 week olds inside. (Had given them an upgrade Tuesday but our weather was not cooperating at all this week lol)

Attachments

• PXL_20240406_224544539.jpg
    PXL_20240406_224544539.jpg
    630.1 KB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20240406_213855878.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240406_213855878.MP.jpg
    718 KB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20240406_214353633.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240406_214353633.MP.jpg
    643.4 KB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20240406_224541338.jpg
    PXL_20240406_224541338.jpg
    577 KB · Views: 2
We have an addition on our house for activities such as plant starting and brooding. We set up a table with dog kennels to use for two of our pets that we just don't dare risk losing them to a predator of any kind. I'm sure if we allowed it those two would find our bed and climb in. The pullet we keep in a kennel is sounding like she is going broody and keeps her feathers ruffled up like she is looking for a fight when outside during the day. She is not afraid to go head to head with her boyfriend if he gets out of line. Most nights her boyfriend gets to sleep in her kennel with her.
Oh bless! That is a lovely sounding set-up. I sometimes forget how lucky we are not really having to worry about predators as much in town. We have the falcon (which I haven't seen since Ferdy, Stan and Gladys beat it up) and a couple of foxes but that's all.
My ex-batt, Connie, used to sneak upstairs and settle herself on the bed with her best friend, our cat Grace, and go to sleep.
I find the girls can be much fiestier than the boys. Just this morning Gladys delivered a few Chuck Norris style roundhouse kicks to Ferdy this morning for some perceived slight. Poor boy 🤣

This morning, quite by accident, I found out that Stan is terrified by deep purple (the colour, not the band). I was carrying a tray of royal purple polyanthus to plant in front of the run and as I put it on the floor, he suddenly started shrieking his alarm call. He worked himself into such a state of terror in a matter of seconds that he tried to fly through the closed run gate. I'd shut them out of the run while I watered the bio-oocyst in.
I thought it might be the tray itself (black plastic - he hates black garbage bags) so I waved it about a bit when he eventually calmed down - nope, not the tray. I brought out a purple scarf in the same shade and he went bonkers! He is such a strange boy...

This morning, quite by accident, I found out that Stan is terrified by deep purple (the colour, not the band). I was carrying a tray of royal purple polyanthus to plant in front of the run and as I put it on the floor, he suddenly started shrieking his alarm call. He worked himself into such a state of terror in a matter of seconds that he tried to fly through the closed run gate. I'd shut them out of the run while I watered the bio-oocyst in.
I thought it might be the tray itself (black plastic - he hates black garbage bags) so I waved it about a bit when he eventually calmed down - nope, not the tray. I brought out a purple scarf in the same shade and he went bonkers! He is such a strange boy...
What a goofy boy! Reminds me of once when Jazzy tried to spook over an inert pile of dried concrete. It looked like someone had poured wet cement on the ground and walked away. There weren't even any crevices for a snake to hide in! But she acted like it might wake up and bite her 🥴🙄😂. I used to trim trees with lopers from her back and she'd stand like a rock as the branches fell...I could turn into a pretzel trying to reach something while riding her... fire a gun off and she'll act like she didn't even hear it...but that cement was SCARY to her! Don't you wish they could talk and tell us what they're thinking?

Martha's on day 19...
View attachment 3793293
:fl

One of the other Speckled Sussex hens, Hannah, is acting bossy. Abigail, a Dominique, has been trying to lay in one of the boxes this morning, but Hannah climbs in on top of Abigail, who leaves.
View attachment 3793300
Are you satisfied, Hannah?

No one messes with Martha, ever, and yet she's not bossy, just The Boss Hen.

View attachment 3793307
So the Dominiques are taking turns using the wheelbarrow as a nest.
Gosh I love your birds...such beauties. Are you going to let Mom raise the babies?

Back
Top Bottom