What did your chickens do today?

My chickens got to free range today. They have 3.5 acres to roam around on but they love the deck just out side my back door. They sneak up there when I'm not paying attention and poop all over the deck :(

My chickens got to free range today. They have 3.5 acres to roam around on but they love the deck just out side my back door. They sneak up there when I'm not paying attention and poop all over the deck :(

thats why they call it poop deck
wink.png

We were mowing the lawn and came across a worm and decided that the little feathers needed it. These are my first batches of chicks I've ever raised. So we take the worm to the play area that the younger babes were in and put it down in their dish. It took a minute but they caught sight of their tasty snack and one of the BOs grabbed it and started running. It was hilarious! It looked like a little chicken football game in there. The others were chasing it to get the worm. Eventually one of the other BOs got the other end of the worm and an all out tug of war ensued. Needless to say we're rolling with laughter watching these guys. They managed to pull the worm in two. So now we have TWO babies running around like nuts trying to get away from everyone else so they can eat their spoils in peace. I have to say that there is honestly something extremely rewarding raising chicks!

I have; six 3 week old B.O., eight 2 week old Welsummers, and ten 2 week old B.O. babies. I have the older group separated. (Of course it's time to break up my 2 week old chicks because they're getting bigger and I don't want them to be crowded.)

We thought we had only girls, but allof a sudden one of the "girls" starting growing a comb on top. I noticed this behavior of picking on the others. I called tractor supply and they laughed and said we accidentally got a rooster. He thinks he is the stuff! One of my orpingtons,Addie Mae, will literally come up to my feet..look up at me as to say..."pick me up please". I will pick her up and she just snuggles in my arms. I love love this little girl! These are our first chickens and we are smitten. We love to watch them. It is almost like you can see them trying to tell me something! So cute!! Even our little guy in the coop is so funny. He hasn't made a noise yet but I can't wait!!

We thought we had only girls, but allof a sudden one of the "girls" starting growing a comb on top. I noticed this behavior of picking on the others. I called tractor supply and they laughed and said we accidentally got a rooster. He thinks he is the stuff! One of my orpingtons,Addie Mae, will literally come up to my feet..look up at me as to say..."pick me up please". I will pick her up and she just snuggles in my arms. I love love this little girl! These are our first chickens and we are smitten. We love to watch them. It is almost like you can see them trying to tell me something! So cute!! Even our little guy in the coop is so funny. He hasn't made a noise yet but I can't wait!!
BOs make awesome lap chickens.. all I have to do is sit down in the grass and my BO girls just climb onto my lap and plop down
smile.png
they're always the first to greet me when I come outside

Back
Top Bottom