What did your chickens do today?

Today my 9 day old chicks got their first outdoor experience. I had them in a little dog crate up by my barn so they could see the adult chickens. They didn't like that much. They were outside for about 8 minutes before I took them back inside because they were getting really scared. I'll try again in a couple days!

We have three chicks that are 9 wks old and one chicken that is 12 wks old and one rooster that is 6 months old. The baby chicks have gotten so animated lately. one just jumped straight up in the air about two feet and hoped out of her pen. They so want to be big girl chickens.

Today my 9 day old chicks got their first outdoor experience. I had them in a little dog crate up by my barn so they could see the adult chickens. They didn't like that much. They were outside for about 8 minutes before I took them back inside because they were getting really scared. I'll try again in a couple days!
Cool, I love seeing chickens go outside for the first time!!

The other day my 6 week old chicks got to spend most of the day in the tractor which was quite a feat considering I have almost 70 of them. The week before I'd taken a number of them out to a fenced area near the house so they knew what to do when they got into the tractor. Most of them made themselves at home in the sand and grass in a few minutes. Today was another nice day so they got more fresh air and new snacks. Today was peas and they went crazy for them.

The cute part is that a lot of them would rather sit with me than eat so whenever I open the tractor to give them something new they try to jump out and sit on my legs or by my feet. This picture is from last week when I took a few outside to see what they thought of it. The answer was they loved it outside as long as they could sit by me. No matter where I moved they all followed me.

We set up a small "play yard" for our 5 week old chicks today. They have had the best time! Two of them dug a hole and took a dust bath. This is our first time with chickens. So glad we got them! :)
I am trying to decide on a larger coop and run. We will buy one. Would love any suggestions for 4 chickens to have plenty of room.

My chickens played the "lets make mommy late for where she has to go!" Game. Lol
I open the door to put them all in their coop and there's always a few stragglers that like to run circles around the coop. When I open the door to let them in, more run out and soon they're all back out again. -.-

My "big kids" ate their two favorite snacks--bananas and tortillas. Then they bathed in the sun. My chicks decided they are too big for their penned off area in the coop and half of them flew over the top, then freaked out when they realized the other birds are REALLY big and hid behind the pen until I put them back in. TIme to get a top for the pen!

Mine are currently arguing over a piece of bell pepper. Watching them chase each other around while no one eats it is hilarious! Especially since there are other pieces of veggies out as well.

Back
Top Bottom