What did your chickens do today?

Mine girls were busy being like this all day
hide.gif
there was an auction on next door from 7am till 4pm - they are finally out from under the bush now it is all over and running around their run, they didn't apreaciate all the cars and people being around & being noisey

My broody leghorn mix Danielle hatched another egg today. It's her 4th one from the batch, but she keeps stepping on her chicks and it's killing them. Any ideas on how I can save this little guy?

If she's going to be that clumsy and you're losing the chicks, you might want to raise them in a brooder instead.

A couple weeks ago I had a hen attacked by a roo and her head was in rough shape. Today if you saw her you would never know she had been hurt. I still call her 'hurt girl' because she doesn't have a name but she looks great.

I spent time training the roo that attacked her and I noticed that I wasn't seeing him in scuffles any longer. I had even lost track of him in all the other roos because he was calming down. Today I picked up a roo that has been getting picked on and is very docile and it turned out to be the roo that I had trained. He went from the most vicious rooster in the flock to one of the most relaxed ones. I can walk over and pick him up, rub his back and neck and he will just relax with me. He also doesn't seem interested in hurting other birds now so it looks like his training took. The good news for him is that he just made the list of roos that are going to be spared when the cull takes place.
How did you train this roo? I have 1 roo w/ 11 hens and he picks on 1 of the hens absolutely viciously. I had her separated because of it for awhile, but had to put her back in w/ the rest. Her name is Greenie. Her head looks like someone took a potato masher and after cutting it open, took a few beats w/ the masher. The roo doesn't leave her alone and it's not just to mate. He gets her cornered and pecks and is downright MEAN. She hides under the nesting boxes, 'cause he's too big to get under there and she roosts all by herself on a separate roost I made for her. She clings to me when I'm out there, but normally doesn't come down off her roost unless I'm there w/ her and then she still won't go scratch and peck or do other chicken things. She is SCARED to death of the roo. My better half says the roo is going to end up in the pot, but he does get along w/ the other hens. So what do I do? I did go after him w/ a stick but when I'm not out there, no stick to scare him off. Now he'll fly up to her roost, too, so that's not really working. My poor Greenie. She's a flighty bird and when we first got the chickens (April), she wouldn't let anyone get within 10 feet of her. Now she flies up to my shoulder to get away from Roo. I let her out of the run/coop sometimes, and she trots after me in the yard, just like a puppy!

I wish it were that easy... Brooders are hard to get in my area of the Philippines. Even if I could find one, there are always blackouts, it wouldn't be good if that happened at night.

Brooders are easy enough to make, just a box with a light. We used a pallet box but I know people who have used plastic bins and all kinds of things. As for the electricity, that sounds like a problem. :-(

[COLOR=0000FF]How did you train this roo?  I have 1 roo w/ 11 hens and he picks on 1 of the hens absolutely viciously. I had her separated because of it for awhile, but had to put her back in w/ the rest. Her name is Greenie. Her head looks like someone took a potato masher and after cutting it open, took a few beats w/ the masher. The roo doesn't leave her alone and it's not just to mate. He gets her cornered and pecks and is downright MEAN. She hides under the nesting boxes, 'cause he's too big to get under there and she roosts all by herself on a separate roost I made for her. She clings to me when I'm out there, but normally doesn't come down off her roost unless I'm there w/ her and then she still won't go scratch and peck or do other chicken things.  She is SCARED to death of the roo. My better half says the roo is going to end up in the pot, but he does get along w/ the other hens. So what do I do? I did go after him w/ a stick but when I'm not out there, no stick to scare him off. Now he'll fly up to her roost, too, so that's not really working. My poor Greenie. She's a flighty bird and when we first got the chickens (April), she wouldn't let anyone get within 10 feet of her.  Now she flies up to my shoulder to get away from Roo.  I let her out of the run/coop sometimes, and she trots after me in the yard, just like a puppy! [/COLOR]

Littebits,

I had the same problem. Agressive, hormonal roo who decided he wanted to kill one of my hens. He's living at another farm now with older hens who will teach him manners. My terrified hen is much better now and hangs with the rest of the hens. The whole flock is more peaceful and my remaining silkie rooster is quite the gentleman. It was sad but I'm glad we did it. Punished the rooster instead of separating the poor hen who did nothing wrong.

Quote: Is it OK to not have a rooster in w/ the hens? We aren't planning on raising any chicks but I know a roo kind of watches out for his flock, too. Any other benefits of a roo? I think we'll just get rid of him. Just got home from work and am going outside now to clean her up - he got to her last night again, somehow, and she's a mess, but is living. I have her in a box right now. I think he pecked her eye. All our hens are around 2-3 years old. I think roo is, too.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom