What did your chickens do today?

I know - love my hens too, they are pretty entertaining :) The new chicks are a buff orph, barred rock & mystery chick. The mystery chick was dumped at a local high school in a plastic container - pretty cruel - left in the rain to die pretty much. When it was brought to me & we decided to take it in I went to the local feed store & got it a couple buddies. I was being good this year & not going to add to the flock - look how that turned out
lau.gif
My golden sexlink had the twist in her tail - lol. Don't know if she was excited or irritated but she ran around singing her little head off for about an hour. She has fostered chicks before so the peeping might have gotten her excited. My BCM hen can be a little unfriendly - she didn't seem overly joyful that there were newbies in the coop area. The other hens didn't react.

A pic of the 1st day we got them.
Yeah, they are good fun.
You know the black chick at the back of this picture. If that's the rock, then it's a rooster. I think. Sorry to say
sad.png
. I'm pretty sure Rock chicks if they are roosters they have a white spot on thier head. But I may be totally wrong?

Love the chicks though they are super cute.

You might even find that you get a broody hen. Sometimes when my broody's hatch out chicks and the chicks are all peeping it send the whole flock into mumma mode.LOL.

Yeah, they are good fun.
You know the black chick at the back of this picture. If that's the rock, then it's a rooster. I think. Sorry to say
sad.png
. I'm pretty sure Rock chicks if they are roosters they have a white spot on thier head. But I may be totally wrong?

Love the chicks though they are super cute.

You might even find that you get a broody hen. Sometimes when my broody's hatch out chicks and the chicks are all peeping it send the whole flock into mumma mode.LOL.
The Barred rock is a 50/50 for sure. the spot on the head spread out but still has the dark splashes on the legs - we are going to wait it out & hope for eggs & not crowing lol

Well some bad news today.

My sisters horrible cat killed one of my chicks. I came home to find the chickens scattered all over garden, under logs and bushes, in trees. They were all scared stiff and I had to pick each one up and put them back in the run. They all soon got better and were eating and drinking, but then just wait straight to bed
sad.png
. So not a good day.

Well some bad news today.

My sisters horrible cat killed one of my chicks. I came home to find the chickens scattered all over garden, under logs and bushes, in trees. They were all scared stiff and I had to pick each one up and put them back in the run. They all soon got better and were eating and drinking, but then just wait straight to bed
sad.png
. So not a go
That's terrible
somad.gif
- very sorry for your loss

I spilled a little bit of feed today while I was refilling the feeder, and it attracted a junco. The chickens didn't like that at all! Two of the hens flared out their wings and chased it away, clucking.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom