What do I do?

LaNaeMarie

Chirping
Nov 1, 2017
So a few things have happened this week... My girls have begun laying, yay! 1 of them is setting for about an hour each morning. I have a buff orpington who is a lot smaller than everyone else, she is definitely low girl one the totem pole but mostly they do alot of my head is higher than yours chest bumps. This week though, one of my faverolles pinned her and started pecking her really hard immediately after letting them out of the run. I chased her off by nudging her with my foot then my RR did the same thing and I pushed her of and the faverolle was back again. This continued for a good 15 minutes while they attempted to attack her and she coward behind me. And I kept the other two away from her. What is happening? What should I do about it when I see this happening? Pics of my girls.

Attachments

• IMG_20171102_140454124.jpg
    IMG_20171102_140454124.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
Sounds like hormonal teenagers. Your hens are sexually maturing which can sometimes bring on moodiness and increased aggression. It is certainly strange to hear a faverolle causing troubles. I would guess you don't have a rooster either as he would keep those girls busy running from his attention.

Generally pullets will settle down after the first few weeks after laying. As long as there's no blood being drawn I would do as you are doing which is keep an eye out and shag off the troublemakers.

Th
Orpington are docile breed of Chicken..Some breeds are known to be more aggressive..I would up the protein to 18%..Provide oyster shell in a separate bowl..I feed Grower all year...If nutrition is not balanced, behavioural problems start happening....
They get ground egg shells... Is that good?

Th

They get ground egg shells... Is that good?
They can work as long as they don't run out. I find it better to keep a bowl of oyster shells and than supplement with all the eggshells you can. In general chickens prefer the eggshells.

Egg shells can help, but generally go thru the body too fast.
Have always wondered whether only feeding egg shells will eventually provide diminishing return.
Oyster shells will stay in the gizzard for longer,
to be slowly ground down and absorbed.
I mix dried/crushed egg shells in with the oyster shells in a separate container.

A bowl of them out of the elements helps you see when they need refilling, and there's not as much waste as tossing oyster shells on the ground. Your chickens though, do what works for you.

Back
Top Bottom