What do you do with deceased chickens?

Heat

Songster
8 Years
Aug 24, 2011
Washington
Hey all,

I have a flock of 36 chickens, and 7 of them are reaching their 7th and 8th years. I am expecting them to start dying off from old age. I have had many people tell me to just cull them because they aren't laying much anymore, but with them being my pets they are a part of the family. Culling is not an option unless they are suffering from some ailment that I cannot fix.

So my question to you all is what do you do with you pet chickens who have passed away? I am currently giving each one their own burial.... but I can see my forested area filling up rather quickly. This morning as I was burying the latest hen I had this crazy thought of cremating my deceased chickens and spreading their ashes in the forest they so lovingly forage in, but I have no idea how to even begin looking at that process, so it is out if the question.

...so what do you do with the deceased chickens in your life?

We also just give them a loving burial and start a new compost pile on top of them. I know this might sound harsh, but I think it's a good way to use everything that the chickens have to offer, even when they are no longer with us.

We also just give them a loving burial and start a new compost pile on top of them. I know this might sound harsh, but I think it's a good way to use everything that the chickens have to offer, even when they are no longer with us.

That's actually a really good idea... and makes a lot of sense.

I've buried one and taken one body out to a wilderness area so she can return to the cycle of life. Mine are pets also and I just can't bring myself to put them in the trash.

I'll probably continue with the wilderness option.

Mary

Now I don't know if chickens are large enough to count but know someone who used to get deceased animals from a vet friend to plant under his trees when planting his orchard. Apparently gave the new trees a huge boost.

I like the idea of burying and planting something on top, one to remember and two so they don't accidentally get dug up again lol

Last edited:
If it dies, it goes in the forest. If it's getting too old and I'm too attached, I'll donate it to a free range farm. If it doesn't have a name, then it's dinner.

Back
Top Bottom