What Do You Do With your Leftovers?????

Yes, I have to download my camera later.

He roasted 12 hours and was wrapped and insulated 2 hours for a trip to my in-laws then sat 30 minutes unwrapped and was still too hot to handle.

Quote:
Now that's a turkey!
thumbsup.gif

can't wait to see the pics
smile.png

Quote:
Thanks i will add that to my list
smile.png

Oh goodness, sounds like he was tender and juicy too. My kind of bird! Yeah, I can't wait to see the pic either. My turkey turned out really good but my darn memory card was full ( I forgot to put my pics on a CD
barnie.gif
) so DD took a picture with my camera phone but it's not a good pic at all.

Leftovers are an important food item in my household. Food is not thrown away.

Some leftovers are canned, some frozen, some dehydrated, some go into freezer meals, bones are boiled for stock ...

Then what's left from all that, goes to the chickens. They love leftovers and holler for more.

What the chickens get is what is scraped off the plates.

Amazingly enough, my fiance has never had homemade turkey soup!!! So I know I am doing that FOR SURE. I can't imagine never having turkey soup! I have a roasting pan - Waring #7 if that tells you how old it is - that is just the right size.

My turkey carcass, the broccoli stems, celery root, green onion tips, etc... gave me 2 GALLONS of broth
big_smile.png

Making soup today and freezing a bunch for later

Creamed Ham

1 tablespoon flour
1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon sugar
1 cup milk
1 tablesppon butter
1 cup chopped leftover ham

Blend dry ingredients and add milk; whisk until well blended and smooth. Melt butter in saucepan, then add milk mixture. Cook over medium heat, adding mustard, mix well. When mixture reaches boiling stir in the ham and remove from heat to keep from curdling. Serve over hot waffles, toast or toasted split english muffins or biscuits.

Ham and Potato Casserole

Leftover ham, cut into small pieces
2 tablespoons butter
6 small boiled potatoes, sliced - I use red skinned potatoes
1/2 cup milk
3 tablespoons chopped parsley
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 can cream of celery soup ( Mushroom works well, too.)

Put ham in skillet with butter and onion. Cook over low heat until onion is soft.

In a large bowl, combine soup, milk and parsley. Gently stir in sliced potatoes, ham, onion and any drippings from skillet; combine well and pour into a greased casserole dish. Cover and bake 40 minutes at 350 degrees.

Hot Turkey Salad Casserole

2 cups diced cooked turkey
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 cup diced celery
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon diced onions
1/3 cup mayonnaise
2 hard voiled eggs, chopped
Crushed potato chips or buttered cracker crumbs

Mix all ingredients together except chip/cracker topping. Pour into buttered casserole. Cover with topping and bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes.

Last Minute Leftover Casserole

1 small can asparagus, drained
Leftover meat of choice (ham, chicken or turkey)
1 can cream of chicken soup
3 slices American cheese
Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper to taste
Buttered cracker crumbs for topping

Place meat slices in 7 x 12 casserole dish. Add asparagus, cheese slices and soup seasoned with Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper to taste. Cover with crumbs and bake 350 degrees until bubbly. Serves 6-8.

Last edited:
I cooked the bones 4 hours and ended up with a wonderful broth. Today I will make chicken/turkey gumbo. Not enough turkey leftover so I will throw in some chicken I have in the freezer. About 2 this afternoon it should be ready.

Now if I could just figure out how to can it.

Back
Top Bottom