What do you guys think of these colts? Pics on page 3,6,7,8 & 12

I must say that the thought about them being adult teeth occurred to me, especially when I first saw them but it's been years since I studied Equine Science & these things grow dim without practice. I've been riding other peoples horses for 3 years now & I hate it. I haven't ridden in a year because it's difficult to coordinate timing so that everything is where I need it, when I want to go riding. The suspicious part of me is starting to wonder & I'm going to make a few calls tomorrow. I want to know how long he has had this colt, the previous owner's number & the sire's owner's number.

I happen to like Pinto arabs.. and had the privilege of riding many of them....I think with proper nutrition, and strengthening excersizes his hind quarters will get better, if enough to hack out on!!
Some of the worlds horses are known for conformation issues... but they are still very useful horses.
A rare french pony, that looks like a mini fresian, has severe cow hocked back legs, it makes them great mtn ponies.. where they thrive and live.
Gelderlander's have a very very flat rump.. but it makes them great carriage horses and surprisingly great jumpers too...
In Isreal he is a rare horse, and pretty...
Go for it!!!
My narrow chested, Cob sized-girth, headstalls... (yet 15.2 HH ) ASB cross, can attest... Hard to fit saddle.. BUT A GREAT HORSE!!!

Carol

I closed the deal on him today but decided not to get the goat as it was half the price of the horse & I don't want a goat that badly. I'm moving to my new place tomorrow so I won't have internet for a day or two but I'll do the paying & moving of the horse next week or the week after.

im real excited for you and will LOVE to follow this thread ( i hope you keep it here as I get lost when someone starts a new one and I cant find them again
sad.png
) CANT wait for more pics. Your going to have so much fun, im jealous...

So another option has popped up as I was about to buy the pinto. The stables here have some really nice quarter horses & they offered me to lease one of two of their young stallions. I didn't want to do a lease & I didn't like one of them. So just as I was about to put down the money on the pinto, he offered to sell me the other one for a 3rd more than the pinto. He is a 2 & a half year old stallion from reining lines. Just backed & I rode him around twice. P.S. I know his feet are long, they are 10 week old shoes :-(
Here are pics of him:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=303939&id=749597782&l=4d4cca96af

Last edited:
Now that is much more what a 2.5 yr old horse should look like, development-wise (Compared to previous ones of that general age you've posted about).

If you want to buy one of the horses you've posted about, I think this should for sure be the one as long as his temperament and soundness are all there.

The main thing I'd say against him is that his hindleg is pretty straight; not a good thing at all for a performance horse but just for a few hrs of trail riding it should not be a problem IME. (As long as he is currently sound and no signs of soreness suggestive of dropping pasterns -- but I've never seen that happen in a well-nourished 2-3 yr old, usually it is either a matter of malnutrition or a mature-or-older horse)

One could also wish for a bit larger knee and more bone below it, and possibly a hair shorter and stronger pasterns, but none of those things are IMO a concern for a recreational light-use horse. (He looks like he will be quite a chunky thing when he grows up, though, and it's too bad about the legs - not sure how well he'll be doing in, like, his teens)

He looks well developed, without being overly hefty (the way a lot of halter horses over here are); pretty well balanced; and a lot sturdier and readier to ride than your other prospects. If his feet are only at 10 weeks then he grows one heck of a lot of foot, I'd guess them to be more overdue than that; and it will take some care in correcting, and he should be given turnout and no work for a little while; but they look like they want to be fundamentally good feet so I would not be concerned about your ability to get them all fixed up in fairly short order.

I would not recommend him for hard work, but for what you want and especially if it is a choice between him or the pinto (or the other young QH you showed us) I would absolutely unhesitatingly say he is WORTH paying a bit more than the pinto for, and should probably make a perfectly reasonable riding horse for you
smile.png
(Started lightly and *gradually*)

Mind that's all contingent on him being sensible and SOUND, but you're the only one who can tell about those things.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom