Spooky puppy problems

alert LG> long, rambling dog experiences post <G>

Hermes is a lovely pup (Aussie? looks more like a Border Collie but that doesn't matter. He's a herding breed.) Yay for all of you. He sounds super smart, eager to learn and ready to bond, even if he missed a few early steps. You have a lot of experience with dogs and training. It sounds like you are meeting this pup on his own terms and finding ways to help him adjust to his forever home/people and to work through his fears. After reading this whole thread I'm not sure you are getting what you asked for from us. Certainly you don't need training tips <G>. Mainly it sounds to me like Hermes just needs time and calm exposure along with a predictable routine, all based in positive experiences. It sounds like you are doing exactly that.

We have two dogs right now; the older much loved dogs lived out their lives and we miss them! Between us, in our previous lives and now in our life together, we have had only 2 pups straight of their litters at the right age. Our dogs seem to come to us from unknown or negative backgrounds. There are varying degrees of challenge but all the dogs are worth it.
Our primary tools with our dogs are consistency, time and patience. We try to never scold. Our dogs must learn "leave it" and they do. As soon as they know their names, "sit", "come", "down' and "wait", they are taught "leave it". This serves them, and us, well. It also makes life with chickens and cats easier.

You understand time and patience but asked for specific stories.
I have only been able to take one of my dogs through a full obedience training course. He was a 1 y.o. rescue and had not been socialized, had separation issues and so forth. Initially he was afraid of being in houses, cars were awful, strange places made him quiver. It took slow gradual exposure and patience, lots of patience. As soon as I thought we had one scary thing conquered, another would surface.
He was terrified of dumpsters (what you refer to as trash cans?), ice machines (he traveled with me a lot and we stayed in hotels), eating when other dogs were near, and more, much more, Once he got comfortable with the car and new places and had learned to trust me, we went to training. He earned his AKC Canine Good Citizen and along the way I unlearned a lot of things and learned a lot about working with *my* dogs.
He became the dog who could go anywhere with me and be reliable.
I lived in a place with access to good training resources then. Because we are so far out of any good sized town now, training classes are not practical where I live. Still, with pups from uncertain backgrounds I would wait until some basic life skills and especially emotional/trust securities were in place before going to classes, but that's me.

We currently have a 5 y.o. Catahoula who was seriously abused before we adopted her at 4 months. She still has a lot of fears and anxieties from that very early time.
When she had been with us almost a year we made an appointment with a Behaviorist - it's a 75 mile trek so not lightly done. He assessed her and gave us a lot of helpful strategies.... but they were appropriate for *her* and your pup is from a different background. Z. missed out on a lot of early puppy mental development, having been taken out of her litter too early. It sounds like Hermes has to overcome a negative "first people home" experience.

Z. was terrified of male feet in general. For about a year Jeff intentionally used his slippered feet as massage instruments, coupled with hand petting, praise and just general calm. It took a long time of "coffee in the morning" and "slipper therapy" for her to learn she was not going to be kicked, ever.
She is reactive to strange things when in the car: this is best managed (for us) with her crated and the crate blanketed. That way all the weird scary things in her moving visual space are obscured; she is calm and enjoys being along for the ride. We have had to create a calm and consistent environment for her; change is difficult.
Space is important to her. The other dog(s) have to be out of the car before she can be released, otherwise she's protective of the area around the vehicle. A lot of things with Z are about management, she will not "get over it".
After all this time, she's still learning but is much more able to deal with her world. We live well out of town so the stresses of city/suburban life are not a factor for her. IMO Z could never live in an environment with constant noise, but then, neither could I anymore <LOL> As for the chickens, I started this flock when Z was 3. She had a solid,"leave it". She'd spend time sitting with me, watching the chicks in the brooder. They quickly became her chickens. She does not herd them but does get very concerned if she perceives any threat. She'll herd the cats away from the chickens, alert if there are ravens or hawks overhead and so on.

One of our border collies (a shelter adoption at age 1) was terrified of fly swatters, thunder, gun shots, fire works, etc. She had a long memory. At age 8 she was still showing us her early negative experiences. A thunder shirt was helpful for her until she began associating it with upcoming storms.:(
Finding a groomer who would work with her and with Z over time was not easy. The assembly line approach of many grooming places just does not work for anxious dogs.

Our newest pup came to us at 23 weeks after two foster homes since the age of 3 weeks. She is 4 months old now, still new in our lives. She is afraid of a lot of stuff, including strange dogs and strange people and large, unfamiliar objects... She gets anxious/fearful in unfamiliar environments.
We are taking a similar approach to yours with Hermes: maintain calm and patience, treat when her attention turns to us, turn around and walk her away if need be. The slow exposure is working, the FedEx guy was here Thursday, she was delighted to have her ears scratched.
I take her to visit the Vet's office once a week, to get accustomed to the parking lot, the staff, being weighed and greeted. In another week or two we'll go in and sit while other dogs come and go. She'll gets treats when she turns her attention away from whatever she reacts negatively to. Then I'll start taking her with me to the feed store and other dog friendly noisy places. (but oh! it has to cool off first! Right now it is too hot.) She's had to learn to focus what we ask of her rather than deciding whether or not to do as we ask <G>. Still, she's solid on her basics already and getting more reliable with "leave it" and with recall.

FWIW, I am very leery regarding taking any of my pups to "public" areas before they have had *all* their vaccinations. That is usually 5 months. This new girl came to us with all her shots, early. Our Vet does boosters for pups that were rushed through that process so K is just now at the place where exposure would not potentially lead to disease.

As for herding: a local sheep rancher told me that he does not screen or train his herding dogs... "put them with the herd, they know what to do." (of course, they also learn from the older dogs)
Over the years we have had mostly herding dogs (including this Catahoula); each breed has its own style. Aussies and BCs work in different ways. As a class, they are whip smart, eager to learn, need jobs to do and a lot of exercise, both mental and physical.

Hermes has found a home that will work for him, lucky dog! Meeting with a trainer or behaviorist, when/if it is right for you, will help you better understand how Hermes is wired so you can help him channel that appropriately in your living situation.

For the people who are wondering if he's an aussie, he does have a docked or bobbed tail. Seems like a lot of work to go through to switch from one perfectly good breed to another, but who knows. Or it could be that he's a mix.

Thanks, lc, those ARE good stories. :) You're right about training tips being mostly superfluous... But problem behaviors is where I'm lacking in my dog training. I can tell you how to take a dog from 7 weeks and turn it into a well adjusted nicely trained pupper... But not always how to tackle problem children like this, so novel ideas are part of what I'm reaching out for. That and encouragement.
We've had issues with our other two dogs in the past too. The husky has bad small animal aggression and separation anxiety. The big dog has guarding issues. We've worked with them and they're managed. But over all problem behaviors need more experience than I'm sure I have. And fear is a new one.

Last edited:
They just said that my normal emotions (being frustrated) were a problem (Well being upset over it... is a problem), that I wasn't handling my dog well (seriously not handling each issue separately is a problem), that my other dogs are no good (Having other dogs with issues too isn't helping), and that I should consider rehoming my dog to someone better. (Possibly recommend rehoming to more experienced people is an option?)

Can you tell me what I get from being nice to someone saying something so terrible to me? Genuinely wondering.

But also - good grief. And I really hope they don't give that kind of hot and terrible advice to other people looking for help/encouragement.

Last edited:
They just said that my normal emotions (being frustrated) were a problem (Well being upset over it... is a problem), that I wasn't handling my dog well (seriously not handling each issue separately is a problem), that my other dogs are no good (Having other dogs with issues too isn't helping), and that I should consider rehoming my dog to someone better. (Possibly recommend rehoming to more experienced people is an option?)

Can you tell me what I get from being nice to someone saying something so terrible to me? Genuinely wondering.

But also - good grief.

good grief indeed. Who are "They"???.

PLEASE do not re-home that potentially wonderful dog! IMO it would do him no good at all. He hasn't been with you very long and is just beginning to trust you and to learn how to be himself in a safe environment.

He's a very smart pup: fear can be a natural extension of this. He knows what he doesn't know<G>. It may be that he feels safe enough now to register all the new things in his world and is slightly overwhelmed.
Give him time, create small steps and build on them. (e.g. the trash can/dumpster, whatever it is. I would walk within sight of it and reward the pup for paying attention to me or my leash hand, then another day or two after that, would walk closer, and so forth. He'll get accustomed to big scary thing, which doesn't move or attack him... the fear subsides.
Granted, you may not be able to predict what will elicit his fearful reactions but if you stay calm and gradually increase his exposure to new things, time will be your friend. It really will not take too long. Keep him stimulated: puzzle toys? a snuffle rug?. Aussies need mental work as well as physical work. Diversion in new situations can help.

Speaking as someone who has lived with as many as 3 dogs at a time, all with various "issues', it can be done. Hermes is very young, that's on your side.
Most of what you have described with him seems natural to me for a dog that bounced around too much, too soon and did not get good handling that first month out of his litter.

There are resources that have been helpful to us: Check out the rescue dog pages for his breed (and for the border collies too, lots of crossover info). Check out "The Fearful Dog" by Patricia McConnell - she has a great website.

We found the Behaviorist we worked with through services offered by a regional shelter. They gave us a lot of good help via email, for free. When our frustration/concern got too much we made an appt, took all 3 dogs for a family visit/assessment. It may be there's something similar where you live, worth checking into.

My best advice: don't be so hard on yourself. You are just learning this pup. Follow your instincts re rewarding the positives and seeing what he's learning: Ringing the bell to go out to potty and extrapolating from that to ringing the bell to go out for a walk? There's a lot of info in that as to who he is, how his mind works. He's awesome. hang in there, you've got this.

Someone whose post has been removed. (And my response to their post telling them to heck off rather strongly, for which I was scolded AND the post in which I was scolded for saying such.) It gone now and that's for the best most likely.

We do have a simple puzzle toy my "big" dogs have never liked - a bottle with a rope in the opening that you put kibble or treats in. The dog has to find a way to pour out the food without blocking the hole with the rope. My dogs will use it - but don't LIKE it. Maybe he will.

I will absolutely go read on the resources you've directed me to. Refreshing my knowledge with something more in depth than "Six tips to boost your fearful dogs confidence!" will help. Cause that's 90% of what a google search yields.

Someone whose post has been removed. (And my response to their post telling them to heck off rather strongly, for which I was scolded AND the post in which I was scolded for saying such.) It gone now and that's for the best most likely.

We do have a simple puzzle toy my "big" dogs have never liked - a bottle with a rope in the opening that you put kibble or treats in. The dog has to find a way to pour out the food without blocking the hole with the rope. My dogs will use it - but don't LIKE it. Maybe he will.

I will absolutely go read on the resources you've directed me to. Refreshing my knowledge with something more in depth than "Six tips to boost your fearful dogs confidence!" will help. Cause that's 90% of what a google search yields.

it's good to hear that the person castigating you is not in your immediate circle of friends/housemates!

That puzzle toy might be exactly what he likes. We have a few things purchased years ago for other dogs. The new pup is the only one to have ever used them <G>

Here's hoping some of the source material boosts *your* confidence in teaching/training your dog.
IMO, knowing his breed and background is very helpful. You are starting with a solid understanding of how his DNA prepares him to live in the world. Plus, there were reasons you were looking for an Aussie, right? and those reasons probably didn't have much to do with how lovely they are???

Around here most of the Aussies are working dogs (sheep and/or cattle) but we have neighbors a few miles over with a house pet/constant companion Aussie, Jake. Two Winters ago Jake woke his people at 2 a.m. They escaped the house fire with literally just what they were wearing, not even their glasses, meds, IDs or anything else.. The fire trucks arrived from town (a closer neighbor called it in) but the temps were so low the water froze in the lines. The house burned to the ground. Jake gets steak for life. Plus gets to sleep in the bed if he wants to. And none of us will ever consider using heat lamps in the chicken coop.

here's a "new pup" story. I was in the process of clearing out my car in preparation for a long drive. The pup liberated a roll of blue toweling from the back seat floor. naughty girl, right?? Well not really. She had found a toy. We watched her run around with it, leaps and bounds, shaking it and so on. Got it back from her, cleaned up the scraps. And then talked about what we had observed and her play style. That was an instructive episode for us. We learned a bit more about the pup who had only been with us for a few weeks. The next day ordered some full size retriever dummies. They are her favorite toy for solo play outside. Inside we have an assortment of balls... Z has her faves, the pup gets growled away from those but is not deterred. She is learning the older dog.

We know nothing of K's mix. She is large. very large. We have to remind each other, regularly, that although she is bigger than Z and looks adult, she is only 4 months old, a very young pup. We can't expect her to act like an adult just because of her size<LOL>
She's quiet, likes to bring the chickens in from wherever they've taken shade but does not chase, harass or try to catch them. She's learning to retrieve, but she's an "I'll think about that" sort of pup, an independent thinker. That may partly be her background or may be something in her breed mix but it's my job to help her learn that when one of us asks her for something, it's her job to follow through. We do a lot of "puppy treats!" in a high happy voice. It works for her <G>.
So, it's always a treat to talk about the dogs in our lives. Mostly it's my hope that you go easy on yourself and Hermes, know that he's smart, wired to make you happy, but at this point has a lot to learn about the world and his place in it. His fearful reactions are challenging and frustrating but with kindness and patience will become fewer and farther between.
here's a link for you: http://www.patriciamcconnell.com/solving-behavior-problems

enjoy poking around the site. If you get into her blog, be sure to read comments - they are often as helpful as McConnell's comments.

We've always chosen our dogs with an eye to physical capability, general health and intelligence, which was our first consideration on picking a breed. We wanted a sound, smart dog that would learn fast and lots of things. A sound dog is important because we have two medium/big active dogs as it is and we have the hobby farm, plus an active lifestyle, lots of outdoor time, and we already do some doggy sports with our current dogs like agility.
Then we thought, wouldn't it be nice if the dog could work for us? That would be nice, we're already getting a pet, why not get a pet that could help shoo the chickens in if they got out...? We could get a herding breed.... And wouldn't that be just grand for the future too when we have more space for livestock?

From there we figured a cattle dog might be too rough, and a proper border collie possibly too soft and probably too much dog for our needs. Unconventional herding dogs often have their own issues too (too big, too dumpy like corgis, TONS of fur like bearded collies/shelties, too little herding drive left like GSDs, etc.). We looked into rescuing a mix, but most of the Aussie/BC rescues didn't want to work with someone who had a farm since a lot of their dogs CAME from farms in the first place...
We wanted something that might be able to switch from moving a few larger animals (our future plans in a year or two, small cows, goats, etc.) to moving groups of smaller animals (our current situation, chickens and rabbits) if we needed them to, to settling down in the house after a long walk. So an Aussie sounded like a great fit. And he IS fitting in, even if he looks a lil BCish. He sleeps like a champion after a lot of work and loves cuddles and indoor playtime.

I'm definitely tryna go easy on the both of us. He chews something on the floor - well that's silly of us, why'd we leave it there? We know better. We get angry on a walk with our 20th trashcan stop - well we're humans and that's a LOT of trashcans.

Learning about playstyles is definitely important and has been really fun and different. The first thing he did toy-wise when we got him was he went for a rope toy with a bunch of fleece tags at the end in a big ball and started chewing on it and throwing it. Then later he went for other rope toys with bits on them, preferring soft ones. He also has squeaky soft stuffed toys. My big kids would normally shred those - he's got a really soft mouth and doesn't like to gnaw on them and shred them like the big kids. He chews on soft toys nicely and only gnaws on bones, which he gnaws on HARD. He likes to carry pinecones around and fetch them too. We now have a collection of 5 pinecones in our front yard that we fetch. We don't have any pine trees, but he would attack the pinecones on walks so we'd bring them home. He absolutely will not tug, at all. He will chase, pounce, tug for a second then drop it and wait for it to be thrown.

Reading this with interest as we rescued 5.....yes that isn't a typo, 5 Australian cattle dogs/red heelers from a local Amish puppy mill in April and I've come to the decisions that those Aussies know how to breed smart dogs.

2 Females, 3 Males and 4 months later and I don't know who is training who. They were 3-4 months old when we rescued them. No socialization of any form. They were in a small pen and the owners had stopped feeding them and were feeding them a whole dead goat and a dead rabbit. We had 5 dogs so this isn't our first rodeo either but were down to two when we got the gang of 5 as we call them. When we saw the abominable living conditions they were in we couldn't leave them.

Yep, we have our hands full. We lost our Blue Heeler last December to degenerative Myelopathy and say it took 5 puppies to plug the hole he left in our hearts.

The one thing I've discovered about herding dogs is they will out think you every chance they get. One of the pups, Varna, Varn for short is learning to walk on lead. He will work then suddenly just flop over thinking I am just going to get frustrated with him and pick him up. Nope. We discuss the situation, I sit back, lay a treat on the ground in front of me about 5 feet from him and wait for him to come to me. He does this several times during a session. So am I training him to come to me or is he training me to give him a treat? hmmmmmm.....

Thinking about our gang of 5 and what we are trying to accomplish with them makes me believe that as stated your Hermes is a victim of unintentional neglect by owners who just didn't know how to deal with a herder. Puppy definitely needs confidence building then brace yourself cause he's gonna be running your ragged.

Personally I would be seeking out a puppy obedience class for him and enroll him. Being around other puppies is great, he will learn and with learning his confidence will increase.

I recently read that pups have periods in their development where they will be more sensitive to 'startle' stimulation and that stimulation, if experienced will cause shyness or timidity. Possible in your pup? Maybe. Poor little one is just experiencing a big change in its life and needs time. I think you are doing a wonderful job.

Last edited:
@Folly's place you are probably right. Especially considering that they cleaned the refrigerator of hotdogs in a week's time. But they are eager students and quick to learn.

Now if we could only stop them from shredding the cats, life would be perfect.

Back
Top Bottom