What does the squat and wing spread mean?

Yeah, I have no interest in getting a rooster. We had one when I was little, he was hateful and mean. My mom has three that she's trying to get rid of now. She knew that she had two...but one of the pullets she bought turned out to be a young rooster. Now the roosters are a little too aggressive with their "affection" and a couple of her hens have bald spots. I've started to wonder about one of my Golden Seabrights though, I got my two Seabright hens from the same guy that sold my mom her pullet-turned-rooster. Hopefully both Seabrights are hens and one's just a late bloomer!!

We've only had two brown eggs so far, both from the Barred Rock that started on Saturday. I was out in the yard when she laid it, so I know it was the Barred Rock and not the EE.

Last edited:
Lol I pass my hands over my chickens' heads just so they squat.

Nothing like messing with their peabrains.. And yes, I'm easily amused.
lol.png

I am also easily amused, and like my creatures seeing me as the alpha. But the thought of the squat being perverted is just....eww. Well, I guess it's no more "eww" than the cat sticking her hind end up when we pet her. It may even be less ewww than that because our cat is just plain disgusting.
smile.png

The first time I saw one of the chickens do this was when the guineas would attack her. Our guineas were really mean to the chickens, they were egg eaters too. Luckily the guineas moved to a new home on Saturday. Everyone seems a lot happier already.

My buff cochin does it now and has been doing for the past 2 weeks, and i do the same thing, i put my hand on her back and and jiggle her and is to funny, i am amused by it myself i start laughing, and when i stop she does this whole shakeing thing which makes me crack up even more.
gig.gif

I've just been scooping her up and carrying her around. Maybe she'll learn that being submissive just means that I'm going to carry her around treat her like a pet rather than...whatever it is that chickens like to think they are. Mine are definitely pets though, people keep asking if we're going to eat them. What?!?! No, no, no. Anything that I name and feed is a pet, not food! It took me about 2 months of collecting eggs before I could eat one.

Just place you hand over her tail, with the thumb and forefinger and either side, and give her a good shake....She'll do the happy dance, for you.

Nothing perverted about it, totally normal. It's the natural drive all animals have to procreate. Plus the submission to you is awesome, I wish my hens did that for me, but Col Sanders is a roo, so they're not fooled by me.
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom