What exactly does breed for resistance mean?

Quote:
Halo, it is starting to be that way for me now. Before I thought NPIP would mean something important but really, no. Yep, it was a sense of security for me until I talked and read as much as I can about NPIP and how people "fly under the radar" and still be NPIP and for those who are not NPIP, like myself, I shipped birds a few years ago without any problems nor the USPS would do any reinforcement on certifiying birds or checking for NPIP. A few times hatcheries didn't include the NPIP papers themselves. Even my birds were sold to exhibitors, all my birds were tyhoid/pullorum/MG/MS free tested by their vets and repeated buyers as well.

If one wants to have a MG or MS free birds, a vet certificate with proof of tests being done on the flock or on the bird being purchased (provided by the seller) that would give me a sense of some security. Other than that, we make do what we have and use common sense.

Quote:
It's even worse than that, though, Kathy. It means the birds tested are free of Pullorum and Typhoid and perhaps AI that day--they could still be carriers of Mycoplasmosis and the flock will be NPIP, but still what I'd consider ill. NPIP is not a guarantee of a healthy flock, not by a long shot. So, I'm with you on it being pretty much meaningless.

If NPIP testing included the Mycoplasmas it would be very expensive. Not only that, but since 75 - 95% of all flocks test positive, what would they do about it? Kill 75 - 95% of all chickens? After doing some research on the deadly and dangerous diseases they do test for, I have a renewed appreciation of the NPIP program and testing that is done. I now appreciate what they DO test for! If it weren't for this, we could all still be battling these diseases in our flocks. If they are eradicated, it is likely due to their continued vigilance in testing, in my opinion.

National Poultry Improvement Plan (NPIP)
The NPIP is a cooperative program begun in the 1930s by federal/state governments and industry to coordinate efforts to eliminate PD from poultry flocks and hatcheries. Since then, the NPIP has adapted to changes in the poultry industry.Years of dedicated effort have led to the eradication of PD from commercial poultry flocks. Outbreaks still occur, reinforcing the need for continued diligence and surveillance

Salmonella Gallinarum, Fowl Typhoid is a disease caused by one of the two poultry-adapted strains of Salmonella bacteria, Salmonella Gallinarum. This can cause mortality in birds of any age. Broiler parents and brown-shell egg layers are especially susceptible. Chickens are most commonly affected but it also infects turkeys, game birds, guinea fowls, sparrows, parrots, canaries and bullfinches. Infections still occur worldwide in non-commercial poultry but are rare in most commercial systems now. Morbidity is 10-100%; mortality is increased in stressed or immunocompromised flocks and may be up to 100%. The route of infection is oral or via the navel/yolk. Transmission may be transovarian or horizontal by faecal-oral contamination, egg eating etc, even in adults. The bacterium is fairly resistant to normal climate, surviving months, but is susceptible to normal disinfectants.

Pullorum Disease (PD), previously known as Bacillary White Diarrhoea, in poultry is caused by Salmonella Pullorum. It is an acute systemic disease of young chickens and poults. Pullorum disease is spread from infected parent birds via the egg to the chick. Infected chicks spread the disease laterally in the hatchery. It is most typically found in young birds where it is a potential killer but it can also infect older birds as well.Because many prior studies have indicated that vertical transmission to chicks is the principal route of introduction of S. pullorum into flocks, the possibility of horizontal transmissionat later ages has not often been extensively investigated. The current NPIP testing program is based on the assumption that testing breeder pullet flocks before they begin egg production provides an effective control point for preventing later transmission of S.pullorum to progeny.

Avian influenza is a viral disease affecting the respiratory, digestive and/or nervous system of many species of birds. A major epidemic of highly pathogenic avian influenza occurred in the northeastern United States in 1983-84. It took more than 2 years to eradicate, at a cost of more than 70 million dollars. Approximately 17 million birds had to be destroyed during the eradication effort.The United States has not had a major outbreak of highly pathogenic avian influenza since 1986, although less pathogenic strains of avian influenza virus are present and have caused significant losses in the poultry industry. Another major outbreak of highly pathogenic avian influenza would be disastrous to the American poultry industry. There is no effective treatment for avian influenza. However, good husbandry, proper nutrition, and broad spectrum antibiotics may reduce losses from secondary infections. It must be remembered that recovered flocks continue to intermittently shed the virus.

Last edited:
Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) 2.30 3.50
Mycoplasma synoviae (MS) 2.30 3.50

Those are the in-state/out of state testing fees for Washington State University's avian lab. Here is the info I got in an email from the Field Vet (State Vet's office)....

Greetings.

The primary purpose of the NPIP is to facilitate legal transport of chicks and hatching eggs across state lines. Minimum requirements are that your birds be tested annually for Salmonella pullorum, a salmonella that may be spread through the egg and at one time was a very common hatchery born disease. Other disease classifications are available if needed, these include Mycoplasma gallisepticum, Mycoplasma synoviae, Avian Influenza and Salmonella enteritidis. We should be able to assist you with the necessary testing. Fees include $25 to come out, $25 for the annual NPIP membership and ten cents per bird tested. If you have further questions or would like to schedule a test, feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,

Bruce Mueller
... credentials and contact info in his signature

So there's no mention of how much $$ to cover the additional testing, but at least here in Oregon it's an option. Again, we can't always blame the government for our problems
wink.png
... At least he offered, and I assume that the testing fee through the NPIP program would be cheaper per bird than through the universities. The universities are great, but for under $75 I can get NPIP certification as well as the S. pullorum test for 50 birds.

Salmonella (from drag swabs), FDA and NPIP methods 25.00 35.00
or... ?
Salmonella sp. 20.00 30.00
Salmonella for egg product - PERP program 23.10 34.70
Salmonella (MPN procedure) 52.00 78.00

that's in state/out of state cost. I'm assuming that's testing the same thing that the NPIP certifyer is. By the time we add on the Fed Ex delivery charge to the lab, and the accession fee of $10. The WSU site says that the $10 fee is waived in food safety only cases - so I'm guessing if you just got the non-drag-swab test done (as it's listed under "food safety") it would just be the $20.00 or $30.00 depending on if you're in state or out of state.

At any rate, for me to just ship the samples there, not including my shipping cost, if I just got the "food safety" Salmonella sp. test for $30.00, + their FedEx delivery charge, it would be $48.00. That's to get one bird tested. Again, something I'm willing to pay, but why not get the whole flock tested and certified for a few bucks more... unless I'm missing something here?

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts_waddl/avian.aspx

What tests from that list would everyone here have their flock undergo - what's involved with those tests? What kind of samples do you need to take - do you need special sample taking materials (I assume) and how much are those?​

Last edited:
Not only that, but since 75 - 95% of all flocks test positive, what would they do about it? Kill 75 - 95% of all chickens?

I still do not buy that percentage. I think it may be regional- perhaps in some areas, that is true, but not over the entire United States. I just will never believe that. When those numbers keep coming up, I think it makes some people lax about biosecurity-after all, why bother if you can't avoid it, right?
hmm.png
MG is not a kill-all disease, I don't think. Some are, however, and it may depend on the particular state with some diseases.​

Quote:
I still do not buy that percentage. I think it may be regional- perhaps in some areas, that is true, but not over the entire United States. I just will never believe that. When those numbers keep coming up, I think it makes some people lax about biosecurity-after all, why bother if you can't avoid it, right?
hmm.png
MG is not a kill-all disease, I don't think. Some are, however, and it may depend on the particular state with some diseases.

It is regional. Calif is a huge state with lots of poultry and no testing is required here because pullorum is not a problem here. We have no mandatory testing for any kind of disease.

Walt

Most all of the Eastern and Mid-West states require chickens to have test papers on entry to the show barns. Was in Kentucky few year ago and all that didn't have the paper work , the state testing agent done all the birds before they could go inside the building. Don

Quote:
hmm.png
MG is not a kill-all disease, I don't think. Some are, however, and it may depend on the particular state with some diseases.

It is regional. Calif is a huge state with lots of poultry and no testing is required here because pullorum is not a problem here. We have no mandatory testing for any kind of disease.

Walt

The 75 - 95% figure is for Mycoplasmas.

This is from 1985m from here http://www.jstor.org/pss/1590416
The
prevalence of Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) and M. synoviae (MS) in commercial pullet and layer flocks in Southern and Central California was estimated by testing serum and egg-yolk samples from 360 sample flocks in Southern California and 41 sample flocks in Central California. Data relating to potential risk factors associated with MG and MS infections were collected. The estimated true prevalence rate of MG was 73% in Southern California and 3% in Central California. The estimated true prevalence rate of MS was 91% in Southern California and 32% in Central California. Compared with uninfected flocks, MG-infected flocks in Southern California were significantly older and were medicated less (P < 0.05). More managements were under a multiple-age system, more flocks had molted, more were vaccinated with F-strain, and more had concurrent infection with MS (P < 0.05). Only one sample flock in Central California was MG-infected; none were vaccinated with F-strain. In Southern California, MS-infected flocks were older than uninfected flocks, more had molted, more were medicated, and more had concurrent infection with MG (P < 0.05). In Central California, MS-infected flocks did not differ significantly from uninfected flocks in any factor examined; the lack of statistical significance may be due to small sample size.

Quote:

Walt

The 75 - 95% figure is for Mycoplasmas.

This is from 1985m from here http://www.jstor.org/pss/1590416
The
prevalence of Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) and M. synoviae (MS) in commercial pullet and layer flocks in Southern and Central California was estimated by testing serum and egg-yolk samples from 360 sample flocks in Southern California and 41 sample flocks in Central California. Data relating to potential risk factors associated with MG and MS infections were collected. The estimated true prevalence rate of MG was 73% in Southern California and 3% in Central California. The estimated true prevalence rate of MS was 91% in Southern California and 32% in Central California. Compared with uninfected flocks, MG-infected flocks in Southern California were significantly older and were medicated less (P < 0.05). More managements were under a multiple-age system, more flocks had molted, more were vaccinated with F-strain, and more had concurrent infection with MS (P < 0.05). Only one sample flock in Central California was MG-infected; none were vaccinated with F-strain. In Southern California, MS-infected flocks were older than uninfected flocks, more had molted, more were medicated, and more had concurrent infection with MG (P < 0.05). In Central California, MS-infected flocks did not differ significantly from uninfected flocks in any factor examined; the lack of statistical significance may be due to small sample size.

The commercial flocks are always a problem wherever they are. . There is no problem in back yard flocks here in CA. There has never been a reportable disease in a backyard flock here.

Walt

Back
Top Bottom