What is a Kikiriki?

Morelias

In the Brooder
Apr 3, 2020
I see them for sale a lot but can't seem to find an agreeing general consensus on what these birds even are. I've seen sources say it's a breed of its own completely separate from Sermas, some say it's just another name for Serama, some say it's just a name given to bantams from Puerto Rico no matter what the breed is, even if it's just a tiny sized mutt. I'm tempted to go with the last since I've seen such varying degrees of appearance on birds labeled "Kikiriki" and I've yet to find a true history or breed standard on them. Some of them look like seramas, some like tiny game bantams and some look like a random mixture of birds aimed at breeding them as small as possible. Any insight on them?

Hello!

I grew up in between Massachusetts and Puerto Rico. While growing up my Grandfather always had these tiny breed. I’ve noticed that there is a wide variety of what is considered a “Kikiriki”, but what is always agreed upon is that they have to be tiny. Not going to lie, I always thought that “kikiriki” was just a local way of referring to them. I had the opportunity of owning a whole flock of these and they were wonderful. I’m planning on buying a couple soon. Will post pictures if I do. ✨✨

Last edited:
I see them for sale a lot but can't seem to find an agreeing general consensus on what these birds even are. I've seen sources say it's a breed of its own completely separate from Sermas, some say it's just another name for Serama, some say it's just a name given to bantams from Puerto Rico no matter what the breed is, even if it's just a tiny sized mutt. I'm tempted to go with the last since I've seen such varying degrees of appearance on birds labeled "Kikiriki" and I've yet to find a true history or breed standard on them. Some of them look like seramas, some like tiny game bantams and some look like a random mixture of birds aimed at breeding them as small as possible. Any insight on them?
I too see many different bantam breeds labeled as “Kikiriki”. I don’t know what that’s about really so I don’t think it’s an actual breed. I read an article saying they were seramas but showed a picture of a small seabright.

I too see many different bantam breeds labeled as “Kikiriki”. I don’t know what that’s about really so I don’t think it’s an actual breed. I read an article saying they were seramas but showed a picture of a small seabright.
I found an article discussing the origin or the “kikiriki breed”:

“This chicken breed is a native of Kelantan, the Malaysian State. The breed is believed to have resulted from cross-breeding between the Japanese bantams with the Malay breed. The modern breed of Kikiriki chicken is due to Wee Yean Een’s development, who named the species in honor of Rama Serama, the title of the King of Thailand. This chicken was first displayed in 1990 and again in 2004, but bird flu killed most of these birds. Various organizations promote the Kikiriki breed within the United States, like the Serama Council of North America, which helped introduce this breed to many of the nation’s poultry shows. In addition, the American Bantam Association and the American Poultry Association approved the “American Serama variety” in 2011.”

Quoted from

Kikiriki Chickens ~ Origin, Behavior, and Breed Information​

May 28, 2022 by Dawn Head
Rurallivingtoday.com

Back
Top Bottom