What is killing my chickens? Help!

Chickentings

Chirping
Apr 19, 2023
Hey everyone, I lost a 22 week old pullet to I don’t know what. From noticing her initial symptoms to day of death, it was 7 days. Their feed is organic. Their water gets replaced twice a day because it’s so hot, I have to replenish with cooler water. I HAD 7 chickens, I now have 6. Only 1 is laying eggs, and she’s still alive. I have no idea what’s ailing them. I’m attaching some videos of my suspected next one I think I mgoing to lose - she is also 22 weeks and a speckled Sussex.

What she does: sleeps almost all day, always sits down. She will run or walk from the chicken run to her fav corner in the yard and start sleeping again. Doesn’t forage as much as she used to. I notice she doesn’t like to eat her pellets much dry or as a wet mash, but enjoys treats. She’s losing weight. She doesn’t make her chicken noises as much as she used to. Has not started laying eggs yet. Her legs and toes work fine but she just wants to plop down and sit, and sleep. I noticed a bright green poop from her and also it squirts out of her vent projectile. I also notice the usual cecal poops as well. And her symptoms started around the same time as the one who died.

Attaching soem photos and a link to the video I put of the speckled Sussex (alive) and the blue Plymouth that died:

Attachments

• IMG_6777.jpeg
    IMG_6777.jpeg
    710.9 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_6776.jpeg
    IMG_6776.jpeg
    731.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6775.jpeg
    IMG_6775.jpeg
    838.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6721.jpeg
    IMG_6721.jpeg
    548.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6662.jpeg
    IMG_6662.jpeg
    972 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6493.jpeg
    IMG_6493.jpeg
    740.1 KB · Views: 12
Im very sorry to hear about this. Okay, it looks like there is no panting, no unstable gait. Your flock looks in good condition overall. But there are some pale combs and wattles. It could be as simple as the extreme heat in which case adding vitamin C to drinking water helps, having a sprinkler system and making additional shade cloth can help.

Hens lay best in temperatures roughly between 50-75 degrees. So when outdoor temperature is a billion, they can shut down on laying.

More serious considerations:

It could be even a vitamin or mineral deficiency.

Green diarrea doesnt have to mean anything terrible. However, diarrea, lethargy in the daytime can also point to things like parasite infection, worms, in which case worming med will be the go-to. Worms and parasites will also reduce a chickens appetite. Pale comb and wattles, reduced egg production are also signs of worms.

Basic ideas... I hope it can help....

Last edited:
Im very sorry to hear about this. Okay, it looks like there is no panting, no unstable gait. Your flock looks in good condition overall. It could be as simple as the extreme heat in which case adding vitamin C to drinking water helps, having a sprinkler system and making additional shade cloth can help.

Hens lay best in temperatures roughly between 50-75 degrees. So when outdoor temperature is a billion, they can shut down on laying.

Green diarrea doesnt have to mean anything terrible. However, diarrea, lethargy in the daytime can also point to things like parasite infection, worms, in which case worming med will be the go-to.

Thank you! Her not wanting to eat as much, and not wanting to forage or use her legs barely at all, and sleeping worries me. I actually began a routine dewormer today. But I feel she is declining more. After the 5 day worming, should I boost her up with vitamins meant to strengthen her legs?

Im very sorry to hear about this. Okay, it looks like there is no panting, no unstable gait. Your flock looks in good condition overall. But there are some pale combs and wattles. It could be as simple as the extreme heat in which case adding vitamin C to drinking water helps, having a sprinkler system and making additional shade cloth can help.

Green diarrea doesnt have to mean anything terrible. However, diarrea, lethargy in the daytime can also point to things like parasite infection, worms, in which case worming med will be the go-to. Worms and parasites will also reduce a chickens appetite. Pale comb and wattles, reduced egg production are also signs of worms.

I also have human vitamin c powder, do you know dosage for that per gallon? Is squeezing some lemon juice in there okay to do?

Thank you! Her not wanting to eat as much, and not wanting to forage or use her legs barely at all, and sleeping worries me. I actually began a routine dewormer today. But I feel she is declining more. After the 5 day worming, should I boost her up with vitamins meant to strengthen her legs?
I would definitely increase her vitamins and minerals, and some people start even while deworming, depending on if they have appetite or not. Vitamin/mineral supp added to water may be a way to get some nutrients in there.

Can you bring her indoors to monitor her activity for several days?

Leaving her out there with her condition and guessing her symptoms isn't practical.

Give details of what you been feeding your chickens include all the treats and there enclosure setup.

Give detail of what your weather forecast has been.

Sorry for the long delay.

700 to 800 mg per gallon is a good amount.

If you have Durvet's Vitamins and Electrolytes for poultry then it's just as easy as following their directions, a scoop per gallon or so.

In feed, 90-230mg vit c per pound for laying hens with heat stress.

She stays in an outdoor coop with a flock mate she gets along with so she’s not lonely.

while the other 4 are in the outdoor run.

Food: organic layer feed pellets she used to love, wet or dry.

Treats: it’s by the brand flock party and it has black sunflower seeds, and a few other grains. I give her about a tablespoon a day as she won’t eat mash or pellets.

The coop is large for just the two birds. It has 3 sides ventilated with hardware cloth

We live in central tx and it’s been 104-106 everyday with heat index of probably 110 ish. Two water changes daily to keep the water temps cool enough for them. Frozen water bottles for them to stand on to keep cool.

I would say it’s been about 10 days of her wanting to plop down and just sit down. She eats like that too if she’s standing for too long to eat or drink. She still preens, but she’s not herself at all.

Sorry for the long delay.

700 to 800 mg per gallon is a good amount.

If you have Durvet's Vitamins and Electrolytes for poultry then it's just as easy as following their directions, a scoop per gallon or so.

In feed, 90-230mg vit c per pound for laying hens with heat stress.
Thank you so so much for this! I will ge the direct vitamins as well. I do have rooster booster electrolytes and manna pro brand electrolytes which smells super sweet like marshmallows. They’ve been in heat stress all summer with some provisions I provide to keep cool. They are 100% shaded in the run and they also like to be under the coop that is within the shaded run.

Back
Top Bottom