what is the approx hatch rate on shipped eggs

TucsonChickNut

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 14, 2012
I am seriously thinking about buying some eggs but I am very worried because of all the warnings on the listings makes it seem there is more a chance of failure than success

They have to say that as they can't guarantee the handling the eggs get through the post office. I have read that the typical hatch rate for shipped eggs is between 30-50% I have also read stories on this board of NONE hatching, and also ALL hatching. The point is, they can't guarantee it as they have no control over the eggs once they leave their possession, but people would still try and make the sellers responsible... make sense?

The only advice I have heard is try and buy eggs from a seller who is closest to you. The less time and area the eggs have to travel the better. Still no guarantees.

I have hatched several shipped eggs. Average is less than non-shipped eggs but it really depends on who you buy them from, how far they travel,ect. I normally get about 50% depending on the variables. Sometimes it has been higher but I believe that it is always good to try. Good hatching!
Denise

I am boned if it has to do with distance I live in AZ and noone sells eggs near here that I have seen

I think it has less to do with the distance the eggs travel, than it does with several other factors.

1) freshness of eggs shipped. Eggs should be no more than 3 days old when the start out on their journey.

2) overall health of the parent flock.

3) packaging. Eggs should be well packaged ( there are different ways of packaging and arguments for each) eggs should be shipped pointy end oriented towards bottom of the box. Remember that the label goes on the top of the box, and the post office for the most part keeps the label side up where it is easily visible.

I both ship hatching eggs and purchase hatching eggs. The best hatch rates for eggs I buy have been with eggs shipped upright in the box.

Lanae

I hatch both shipped and home laid eggs regularly. Of course you will have better luck with shipped eggs that are well-packed and have a shorter/easier trip than those that have had a rough ride, but I have found having an excellent incubator goes a REALLY long way towards success with shipped eggs.

I have an RCom Suro, and that thing is a rock steady workhorse. My hatches are close to 100% on home laid eggs, and 75+% on shipped eggs.

Last edited:
I have a Dickeys incubator and a Dickeys hatcher, they are the absolute the best ( purely my opinion, LOL!) and hold temp and humidity perfectly, but cannot make up for detached air cells, old eggs, or lack of fertility. I don't get 100% hatch rate on my own eggs.

Lanae

ouchies I am new and by no means well to do have many ppl to feed and i want to be self suffcient but dang they bators are expensive i am building one out of a mini fridge we will see

I have my first batch of hatch eggs on the way. I found a seller on eBay just hr and half away and should only be in the mail about 1 day...ish.
I won a bid on 6+ eggs. I am expecting a hatch rate of %75 but I have some other questions.
I see auctions of 6+, 10+ and 12+ How many eggs is the plus? I am expecting one extra egg
What is ratio of pullets to roos in a typical hatch?

eggs won are Blue Laced Red Wyandotte

Back
Top Bottom