What is the deal? A little long

aprilgrem

Chirping
Dec 31, 2015
So I have 3 girls, about 21 weeks old. A Barred Rock (more tamed first to come up to you), Black Australorp (a little shy, hangs back), & an Easter Egger (changed her name to cray because she is a little spastic & crazy). My DH said he noticed the black australorp trying to peck at him, which I laughed at since she is normally shy. Well yesterday when I came home and let them out I was giving them watermelon and I noticed the barred rock pecked the australorp in the face (she did this multiple times yesterday) she has never done this before that I have seen.

Now later I noticed Gerta (austalorp) pecking at my shoe so I stopped and while talking to her she kept at it so I went to pick her up and she didn't run off like she normally does but stood there. so I carried her around and min and then set her down...Well apparently she wasn't very happy with me because she fluffed out her feathers and started pecking my shoe again! So I picked her up again and held her for a little bit longer. Also when out in the yard I made sure to walk towards her and make her move out of my way. Which she did but I almost had to push her. after a min or so of this I finally picked her up and put her upside down when I set her back down she wouldn't back away so I did it again for longer. After I set her down again she waddled off to the others.

My question is what would cause this behavior? She isn't at the top of the pecking order she always holds back when I am giving treats like she is waiting out the other 2.

Also only one of them is laying regularly a nice hard egg. I have had about 3 soft eggs in the last 2 weeks or so but I am thinking this is maybe another one of them just starting to lay?

You answered your own question.
You can handle her so easy because she is a laying hen now.
They all become easy to catch.
About your soft eggs. Provide oyster shell.

It's not so much that she is easier to catch it's that she isn't backing away and fluffing up at me being a little more aggressive. I should have added when she first pecked at my shoe I kind of bent over and was talking to her and she flapped up and pecked me right on the nose!!! My barred rock is the one I think is laying regularly and she has become more tame and squats and lets me pick her up. They do have oyster shell I read that sometimes it may start off soft? I may have to try some other source of calcium as it seems they don't really care for it much.

It's not so much that she is easier to catch it's that she isn't backing away and fluffing up at me being a little more aggressive. I should have added when she first pecked at my shoe I kind of bent over and was talking to her and she flapped up and pecked me right on the nose!!! My barred rock is the one I think is laying regularly and she has become more tame and squats and lets me pick her up. They do have oyster shell I read that sometimes it may start off soft? I may have to try some other source of calcium as it seems they don't really care for it much.
Kick her away from you. Teach her to mind your space.
Are you sure she isnt a Rooster??
In the beginning they dont really care for the oyster shell.
I trick my hens and add a bit of scratch to it in the beginning.

I am pretty sure, this was about a month ago, this is about the time they all started to really turn red and grow in there combs and such.

I'll have to try your trick with the shell.

Back
Top Bottom