What is the going price of a good laying hen?

in my aria a laying hen selles for no more than $5.00-if your lucky! I was trying to sell some bantam pulletts hen hatched & raised and when I said I wanted $5.00 to sombody that was intrested in them she laughed in my face (literrally).
last year I sold 6 laying hens for $15.00 becayse I couldnt get a better offer... ALL of those hens turned around & hatched a clutch the following year (and I knew they would, thats why I chose those breeds in the first place)... its almost not worth it, the ONLY reason I still keep chickens is because I enjoy them.

Rachel's Hobby Hatchery :

in my aria a laying hen selles for no more than $5.00-if your lucky! I was trying to sell some bantam pulletts hen hatched & raised and when I said I wanted $5.00 to sombody that was intrested in them she laughed in my face (literrally).
last year I sold 6 laying hens for $15.00 becayse I couldnt get a better offer... ALL of those hens turned around & hatched a clutch the following year (and I knew they would, thats why I chose those breeds in the first place)... its almost not worth it, the ONLY reason I still keep chickens is because I enjoy them.

That's how it is here! I definately DON'T have them to make any money off of!!! LOL​

I paid 12$ for point of lay pullets last yr! I wouldn't sell them for $25each ! If I could find happy, healthy yr old hens here, I wouldn't expect to get them less than $20! A few month ago, I found a lady, who lives w/ in 30min. of me, who had two hens that I wanted-- I offered her 25$ for each... I came home w / them. I thought that was a fair price.. I KNOW how much it cost to feed, house and raise them to this age... EVERYTHING else has gone up why not chickens...

Day old chicks around here are 3-5$...and I had a breeder tell me he added a dollar for every week he kept them.. He gets $20 for his POL (16week old) pullets.

Quote:
I am going to try to develop a market for POL pullets, because I think they are worth more myself- I would NOT expect to buy one for less than $25!!! But it will take time to build that sort of demand...

It really depends on the area. Also depends on why you are selling them and if you want to keep them together. I preferred to keep my 4 1-year-old hens together so I had to price them a little lower to sell them all at once. Nobody here is gonna pay $100 for 4 regular ole laying hens (at the $25 each price some have quoted)

I would think $10 is the going price on Craigslist around here, but I couldn't sell mixed breed chicks for $1! I definitley don't make money selling them
tongue.png

Here I just bought 4 chickens for $60 - $15 each. Three are four months old and not laying yet, one is a year old and in the end of her first molt (and therefore not laying well right now). Ones currently laying are usually $20.

Back
Top Bottom