What is the going price of a good laying hen?

Here in Maui, I get $40-$50 per laying hen. I dont like to sell from my laying hens, but if someone is really persistent, thats what I charge and they are more than willing to pay that, or I will raise them layers from chick and charge them $50. I sell my day old chicks and those up to 3 weeks old for $5ea, 4-7 week old $10ea, 8-11 wks for $15ea, 12-15 wks for $20, and of course, the layers for $40-$50. I also get alot of request from folks who know nothing about chickens and ask that I raise their birds for them for about 1 month, which I charge $10 a bird.

Quote:
WOW! I really should move there...
smile.png

Quote:
WOW! I really should move there...
smile.png

Ditto!

Here you would be lucky to sell a POL hen for $10 People are tooo cheap around here and don't want to pay more then $3 for a hen
I however would pay more depending on the breed, age, ect. Serama hens go for about $20-$25 a piece but regular barnyard laying hens go for $3-$5 each. I charge $10 a hen for my bantams, Roosters are $5

Southern Oregon here and laying hens seem to go for about ten dollars each. That seems to be the same for new layers or two year old hens.

Quote:
I was considering the same thing for next Spring. I want more sex links...wanted to order from Ideal and thought I could order 25 and sell the ones I don't want when they reach POL.

One question...is POL when they actually begin laying or when they are expected to lay?

One of my friends wanted hens this past Spring. I told her where I got my chicks but she didn't want to go to the trouble of raising them. I saw an ad on Craig's List and told her about it...she called...they didn't have what she wanted but he knew a guy who was selling laying hens so she bought 4 from him. Last I heard two began laying right away but two still are not laying.

Boo-Boo's Mama :

Quote:
I was considering the same thing for next Spring. I want more sex links...wanted to order from Ideal and thought I could order 25 and sell the ones I don't want when they reach POL.

One question...is POL when they actually begin laying or when they are expected to lay?

One of my friends wanted hens this past Spring. I told her where I got my chicks but she didn't want to go to the trouble of raising them. I saw an ad on Craig's List and told her about it...she called...they didn't have what she wanted but he knew a guy who was selling laying hens so she bought 4 from him. Last I heard two began laying right away but two still are not laying.

I was told POL means 16-20 weeks old​

well im new to this form thing but i had to reply , the ? came up the other day me and my 10 year old son have been raising our chickens for 4 years now although we have horses , rabbits , chickens , dogs and cats we sell and hatch a few to help with the feed bill. we started with 40 hens and a rooster we sold eggs and hatched eggs to replce them , well i was told a long time ago to value your hens from cost to square well you buy that first chick at lets say $4.00 then you raise by feeding the best start and grow feed , worm and med when needed for the best growth then 6 months later she drops that first egg , yes its great to sell the eggs to those who love them but they just dont pay the feed bill so we value and sell the fresh layers for $20 many people dont want to raise the chick and want that layer now well its not free and we take pride in raising a great chicken my son has done very well with what he has learned and applied his care to his 4-h birds and has been rewarded for his efforts

Quote:
By the way ledgens
welcome-byc.gif

Here in southern Maine the going price for a de-beaked mixed breed POL pullet is $11. If you want a organic/free range raised POL Heritage breed pullet the price is $25.

Back
Top Bottom