What is your friendliest Chicken? What breed is it?

The Howards

Songster
11 Years
Aug 17, 2012
Southern Girl in ND
My Coop
My Coop
What is your friendliest chicken? What breed is it?

Ours is a Dominique named Pepper. Tonight hubby took out some lettuce to give to the ducks and chickens. Just as soon as his bottom hit the chair Pepper jumped right up on his leg and went to town on the snack. She loves to get scratched on her neck just above where her wings attach to her body. She will droop her head and nearly fall over asleep. She truly believes she should get special treatment even though she is not head of the pecking order.

(oops my pic vanished...edited to put it back)

Last edited:
Birds like shown below are easy to tame and train. In addition they are predictable under a range of conditions.

41527_eduardo_and_kid_under_moms_watch.jpg

LOVE my NH Reds. I have Golden Lace Wyandottes (the least lovable girls), Buff Orpingtons (second to the Dotts), Leghorns (starting to like these girls), an Australorp (who talks a lot), and my NH Reds (the best). They have personality all over the others, and they will follow me first to see what I'm doing when most of the others are running away.

My friendliest is an ISA brown. She'll climb onto my lap if I sit on the ground. She follows me everywhere, comes when I call & never bites me. (bonus!) After her is my leghorn...starting to trust me more & always comes when I bend down to give her some dandelions or clover. I also have an Orpington and an Ameraucana that run from me...lol :rolleyes:

My friendliest is a Barred Rock. Also have an Australorp (pretty friendly too) and a RIR (a big klutzy scaredy cat, which I guess is unusual for that breed).

My friendliest is my youngest little EE. She hasn't started laying yet and she loves for me to hold her, loves to be pet. Next would be my RIR Lucy. She comes running when I come outside, probably thinks I've got food! lol! But she will follow me around the yard and when I'm working in the garden she always is there to get any worms I might find. Grubs are her favorite!

El Diablo is my friendliest! He is an old english game bantam and will gather up his girls and fallow me all over the yard. He enjoys jumping on my shoulder and making me deaf by crowing in my ear.

Back
Top Bottom