What is your friendliest Chicken? What breed is it?

The Howards

Songster
11 Years
Aug 17, 2012
Southern Girl in ND
My Coop
My Coop
What is your friendliest chicken? What breed is it?

Ours is a Dominique named Pepper. Tonight hubby took out some lettuce to give to the ducks and chickens. Just as soon as his bottom hit the chair Pepper jumped right up on his leg and went to town on the snack. She loves to get scratched on her neck just above where her wings attach to her body. She will droop her head and nearly fall over asleep. She truly believes she should get special treatment even though she is not head of the pecking order.

(oops my pic vanished...edited to put it back)

Last edited:

Friendliest or Most Tolerant? This is our daughter Emma with her Barred Rock, Lucky. The silly chicken falls asleep in Emma's arms while they're taking a walk or just hanging out in the yard. Lucky is missing her middle toe on her left foot. She gets her toenails painted, likes to help out in the garden and chill out with an afternoon cocktail or a bit of tv... she even went camping with us for July 4 weekend and went swimming in Cayuga Lake! special...
My husband's little girlfriend is SweetiePie, a Buff Orpington. She does a little hula dance in front of him to get a little snacky snack and then jumps into his cupped hands. She pecks at any of the other girls that get too close to Daddy-O!

my friendliest girl is Henrietta, I rescued her from a better farm just over 16 months ago and the minute i go outside she flies up at me for some snuggles. When all of her friends died and she was a lonely girl i used to bring her in the house and she would nest down next to me and my dog on the sofa. my neighbours were a little startled to see a red hen looking at them from inside my living room window lol.

Our friendliest hen is a Dominique named Magrat. She's just a sweetie-pea. She loves my hubby, when he's in the garden working she's always right behind him. If you stand still, she'll come up and stand with her foot on one of your feet, like she's claiming you, lol. We love her to bits.

I also have a super friendly young one right now, too. She's a cross-breed, I have no idea what breeds went into her. She's got five toes so probably some silkie in there, but she's growing quite large already so must be a larger breed as well. She's mostly black with a couple of silver-laced type feathers on her shoulders. Anyway, she's about two months old now and she loves to sit on your hand. We call her Blackie and hope she stays this sweet always. :)

I never expected my friendliest to be my leghorn! She's so sweet, though. I scoop her up with one hand under her belly, and she rides around with me. One day we even walked my daughter to school, and she didn't complain at all as a few hundred elementary school kids put their hands all over her.

Last edited:
i like silver laced wyandottes and ester eggers best.
woot.gif

By Far Rosey. She's a Rhode Island Red. Let us pick her up from the start, loves to be carried and cradled by the kids. She was always the speediest in earthworm chase as a chick. The most saavy and willing to try things. As she got older she seemed to be low-girl on the pecking order. Which honestly surprised me for as quick and smart as she was. And now that she's laying eggs. If we stick our hand in the nest box she pecks us a bit....Protective about the eggs. She is I guess always full of surprises. But she loves us up 99.9% of the time and the hand pecking only adds to her charm. Gosh we love her sooo much.

Our white leghorn. She doesnt seem quite part of the "flock" (of 3) the other two dont hang out with her, but she is the friendliest. My 19 month old baby can catch her more often than anyone else.

Ours is "Darla" our Polish. She has always followed me around ever since she was a little chick. She's got more personality going on than a psych ward! I leaned a trick for our chicks from my Sis's groomer in R.I. She uses a stocking cut horizontally to make rings, like a rubber band, to put bows in her dogs hair and what not. So I started using them to pull the feathers upwards on my polish and sultan chickens "hairdo's" so they can see better. Less constricting than a rubber band so they forget it's there pretty quickly, and it doesn't pull on their feathers either. Kudos to Olivia for the Idea and to my Sis for the old stocking. Now my girls are all ready for exercise in the yard with their custom Susan Summers work out 80's headbands.
there

ps. I kow the spanish bayonetts look pretty wicked and at first I though it was going to be a bad idea for them, but as it turns out they have carefully created little pathways aroud and behind them making a great spot for them in the shade and it is great protection from predators above. Also my friends wonder about them and the Angel Trumpet flower, simply put I am lucky so far. The bugs pay it more attention then the chicks, the dreaded yellow giant grasshoppers to be exact for ya'll in FL. If I did ever see them pecking it or the poinsetta's that miraculesly stay alive outside I would move them out of their reach of course.

Back
Top Bottom