What Killed My Chicken?

Yes, We just redid the bottom of the coop. We put 2 layers of hardware wire all around and on the bottom. The mongoose came back today and he/she was trying to get in. So we locked up our chickens at the top. We hope none of our chickens will get killed.

When I found her. He head was cut off. So I'm pretty sure it was a mongoose. We have had a mongoose kill my previous flock. The flock had 3 buff Orpington chicks, 4 Plymouth Rock hens, 1 Americano Rooster, 4 baby Americano chicks, 4 golden sex link chicks, 3 red sex link hens. We just got a puppy and we let her run around the coop when the mongoose comes. The coop is in a fenced in area. We are hoping to put electric fencing in soon. The chickens are locked up in the top of the chicken coop. The puppy is a German Shepard, and she doesn't have any problems with the chickens.

Yes, We just redid the bottom of the coop. We put 2 layers of hardware wire all around and on the bottom. The mongoose came back today and he/she was trying to get in. So we locked up our chickens at the top. We hope none of our chickens will get killed.

The mongoose will not be able to get in through the hardware cloth. I only had one layer on my runs and they were never able to get in. Just make sure you don't have any small openings anywhere in the coop through which they can squeeze. They can get through some amazingly small holes (but not the 1/2" holes in the hardware cloth). And unlike chicken wire, they cannot tear their way through the hardware cloth.

The mongoose will not be able to get in through the hardware cloth. I only had one layer on my runs and they were never able to get in.  Just make sure you don't have any small openings anywhere in the coop through which they can squeeze.  They can get through some amazingly small holes (but not the 1/2" holes in the hardware cloth).  And unlike chicken wire, they cannot tear their way through the hardware cloth.

Ok, Thank You! :)

Wow, glad I don't have them here, how big are they?
You were asking about the mongooses in Hawaii. I found this old photo from when we lived on the big island and trapped one of the mongooses that were after our chickens and eggs. You can tell just by looking at this photo how fierce they can be. This mongoose was hissing, spitting, and snapping its jaws. Even in a cage, my children were afraid of it. (P.S. This is the first picture I've posted on BYC other than my avatar. Hope it comes out okay).

Back
Top Bottom