olives2004

Hatching
Dec 12, 2022
So, first, we found three ducks dead. Two of them had intact bodies and small bite wounds, and the third looked like something tried to drag him underneath the coop. His head was missing but the stub of his spine was left.
Today, I found two hens dead. They both looked like something tried to drag them underneath the coop, again. They were both missing their heads, but still had the stub left, again. Crops were missing too.
Also, one of the hens had been quite literally split down the middle of her breast. She appeared to be missing organs.
From what I’ve seen so far, many people are saying raccoon. I’m just confused because the hole they are being dragged towards or into is underground, under their coop, and into our barn. It looks rather deep, I know raccoons won’t dig or dig deep at least.
Help would be much appreciated. I’ve kept covering the holes and filling them in, etc, I just don’t know what else to do. Thank you.

I'm sorry for your losses.
is there anyway to move the coop/take up the floor to see what's under there? Can you get pictures of that area?
What's your general location? Where were they found? Inside the coop, going out or in the run?
You might want to reinforce your night security so they are safe at night

Is this happening during the day time? You mention a hole. Did the hole recently appear? Was it dug by animals? It may be that the predator is pulling the birds under the coop because it is more hidden there. If it is truly an animal that is going under ground or even if it is not a trail cam would likely get pictures of it. The kills do sound like the work of a raccoon.

What kind of varmints you have in your area? What state your in might help some. Is there a pond or water by for your ducks?
Set up a game camera.
Are you free ranging your chickens or is a predator going inside your secure run? Is the hole the only sign of a predator?
If there are bite marks around head and neck could be a member of the weasel family. A raccoon will eat a bird feathers and all, big enough coon will eat whole bird. Yes they are also known for biting the heads off. Raccoon if big enough will also carry a chicken away.
members of the weasel family burrow, usually they will go into another animals burrow and take it over, but not always. They will dig their own burrow. Weasels, mink will also store food or try, also organize their food at times. Mink, weasels are regular killing machines.

If it is a weasel you can try to live trap it or build a weasel trap. look up weasel trap on google

It is possible rats. rats will kill by biting the head neck area. Also possible you have a combination of things going on.

My guess from information provided a member of the mustelid family. weasel, mink, ferret, etc
Sorry for your loss good luck.

from google
A classic sign of a weasel attack is chicken carcasses with ripped off heads that are neatly piled up. They will also pull the intestines out of chickens and may or may not eat part of them. Another tell-tale sign of a weasel attack is an acrid odor that lingers in the air.

Based on my experiences (in Ontario, Canada), I would say it's a fox. I've seen them on camera catching, killing and eating them. They usually catch them somewhere, then bring them somewhere else to eat them and if they don't finish their meal, they will take them somewhere else to bury them for the next day.
Most animals will eat the head first if they are short on time (daylight coming) because it's the most nutritious part of the body

Back
Top Bottom