What kind of goat do I have?

sagealbright

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 29, 2014
Finally after years of wanting a goat I got one! We found him at our local small animal auction and as soon as I saw him I fell in love. As this is my first goat I have no idea what breed he is. I'm hoping someone here can help me figure it out.

Here's what I do know:
He's a year old
Male
Weighs around 40 lbs

He is adorable!
big_smile.png

He's a Nubian, a playful, friendly, but very loud breed of dairy goat with rich milk and lots of personality.
Make sure to get him a buddy when you can, since goats are herd animals.

Best of luck!
thumbsup.gif

He is adorable! :D

He's a Nubian, a playful, friendly, but very loud breed of dairy goat with rich milk and lots of personality.
Make sure to get him a buddy when you can, since goats are herd animals.

Best of luck! :thumbsup

Thanks! I'll be getting him a friend soon. He's the sweetest thing. He loves to cuddle and follows me everywhere. If I walk away for even a minute he begins to cry!

Finally after years of wanting a goat I got one! We found him at our local small animal auction and as soon as I saw him I fell in love. As this is my first goat I have no idea what breed he is. I'm hoping someone here can help me figure it out.

Here's what I do know:
He's a year old
Male
Weighs around 40 lbs

Thanks! I'll be getting him a friend soon. He's the sweetest thing. He loves to cuddle and follows me everywhere. If I walk away for even a minute he begins to cry!

Glad to hear you are already planning on a buddy. They need the companionship of another herd animal.

I agree he has Nubian in him. But if he weighs only 40lbs, I seriously doubt he is a year old if he is full Nubian unless he was seriously stunted. And he doesn't look mixed with Nigerian Dwarf of Pygmy, or else his ears would look a tad different. He is still a rather young guy. Hopefully old enough to be weaned, but he looks under six months old.

Because you got him at an auction, he will definitely need a course of wormer. In addition, he should be treated for cocciosis, which is different from worms and requires a separate treatment. Do not use an herbal treatment, use something that actually works.

Glad to hear you are already planning on a buddy. They need the companionship of another herd animal.

I agree he has Nubian in him. But if he weighs only 40lbs, I seriously doubt he is a year old if he is full Nubian unless he was seriously stunted. And he doesn't look mixed with Nigerian Dwarf of Pygmy, or else his ears would look a tad different. He is still a rather young guy. Hopefully old enough to be weaned, but he looks under six months old.

Because you got him at an auction, he will definitely need a course of wormer. In addition, he should be treated for cocciosis, which is different from worms and requires a separate treatment. Do not use an herbal treatment, use something that actually works.

He is extremely skinny. I'm not sure who had him before but he was not fed well. We talked to one of our friends who breeds goats. She said he's a year since both his testicles are completely dropped and he has all his teeth. She also told us he has previously been through a sale because of the type of tag on his ear.

Anything I can feed him to plump him up? I'm worried about how skinny he is. He's out near our woods during the day grazing on various plants. Plus we have goat pellets and hay out for him. He's not interested in the pellets much and he won't eat anything else we give him.

He is extremely skinny. I'm not sure who had him before but he was not fed well. We talked to one of our friends who breeds goats. She said he's a year since both his testicles are completely dropped and he has all his teeth. She also told us he has previously been through a sale because of the type of tag on his ear.

Anything I can feed him to plump him up? I'm worried about how skinny he is. He's out near our woods during the day grazing on various plants. Plus we have goat pellets and hay out for him. He's not interested in the pellets much and he won't eat anything else we give him.

Testicles drop completely the day they are born. Which is why day old kids can be castrated, even though they should not be castrated this young.

Goats have the same number of teeth when they are born as when they are adults. Only premature kids do not have teeth. Kid teeth look different from various ages of adults. So going by number will not determine age, but what they look like instead.

Last edited:
Testicles drop completely the day they are born. Which is why day old kids can be castrated, even though they should not be castrated this young.

Goats have the same number of teeth when they are born as when they are adults. Only premature kids do not have teeth. Kid teeth look different from various ages of adults. So going by number will not determine age, but what they look like instead.

So what should I look for with his teeth?

Back
Top Bottom