What Rabbits Do You Have? Show Off Your Rabbits Here!

Coolest Rabbit Breed Out Of These?

• Holland Lop

Votes: 108 21.3%
  • English Spot

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • American Fuzzy Lop

Votes: 11 2.2%
  • Mini Rex/Rex

Votes: 107 21.1%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 94 18.6%
  • Polish

Votes: 13 2.6%
  • English Lop

Votes: 33 6.5%
  • Mini Satins/Satins

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • Lionhead

Votes: 112 22.1%

• Total voters
Hey guys. I used to be on this thread {Animals970} and I made this account so I can show my farm off more. So, one of my Holland Lop Bucks has TERRIBLE fur. He has had bad fur for a long time now (like ever since I got him, which was in December) and I asked the lady I bought him off of and she said since he used to be a indoor rabbit, that when he moved outside when I bought him that his fur reacted to a molt. Now, I've gone to a more experienced breeder and she said that he was chewing fur and to provide him with a salt or mineral block. Well, that didn't work. He is definantly chewing his fur. So my question is, 'What can I do to make him stop/help him with his issue?'.

Thanks,
SGF1

Hey guys. I used to be on this thread {Animals970} and I made this account so I can show my farm off more. So, one of my Holland Lop Bucks has TERRIBLE fur. He has had bad fur for a long time now (like ever since I got him, which was in December) and I asked the lady I bought him off of and she said since he used to be a indoor rabbit, that when he moved outside when I bought him that his fur reacted to a molt. Now, I've gone to a more experienced breeder and she said that he was chewing fur and to provide him with a salt or mineral block. Well, that didn't work. He is definantly chewing his fur. So my question is, 'What can I do to make him stop/help him with his issue?'.

Thanks,
SGF1

I don't know much but my buns live outside and are not chewing their fur. Their hutch is big enough to run a bit and they have little houses to hid in or jump on/sit on. They also have toys and tunnels that they love to run through. They are fixed so they are two bucks that really enjoy being together.

Last edited:
Fur chewing can have many causes. It can be caused by boredom, so providing a more stimulating environment may help. It might be caused by a lack of fiber in the diet, so if he doesn't already have free-choice hay, adding that may help. When I first got into rabbits, I had a fur chewer; that stopped when I started using higher-protein feeds. Apparently this particular rabbit just needed more protein in his diet, because as long as the feed was at least 16% protein, he was fine. If I tried switching to a lower protein feed (12 - 14%), he would start fur chewing again.

Last edited:
Fur chewing can have many causes. It can be caused by boredom, so providing a more stimulating environment may help. It might be caused by a lack of fiber in the diet, so if he doesn't already have free-choice hay, adding that may help. When I first got into rabbits, I had a fur chewer; that stopped when I started using higher-protein feeds. Apparently this particular rabbit just needed more protein in his diet, because as long as the feed was at least 16% protein, he was fine. If I tried switching to a lower protein feed (12 - 14%), he would start fur chewing again.  

That is interesting. One of my hens was eating the feathers off of other hens. Not pecking to hurt, just eating the feathers and leaving the stub. Someone on that thread suggested upping the protein and it worked. Sadly, it will be a while before my beautiful girls are all feathered out again. Don't you just love animals, they know what they need and do what they can to get it.

You know. I did change foods with the pair I got from that one breeder. So I will certainly look into that. Thank You.

The gene that causes the Lionhead coat is dominant. Even rabbits that have only one copy of the mane gene will have manes, they just won't be as nice. Animals with two copies of the mane gene are referred to as "double maned," they have big, poofy manes and frequently longer hair on their sides as well. Animals that have one copy of the mane gene and one of the non-mane gene are called "single maned," they often have decent manes as babies but that tends to shed out as they get older. A lot of single maned animals wind up with just a few wisps of longer hair around their heads as adults.

If you breed a double-maned Lionhead to a non-maned rabbit, all of the resulting offspring will be single maned. If you breed a single-maned Lionhead to a non-maned rabbit, some of the babies will have single manes, and some will be non-maned.
So if I have two DM Lionheads, they should throw me DM babies? Also one is Vienna Marked, but does not have the blue eyes. What are the chances I would get any with blue eyes?

Back
Top Bottom